U.S. rejects Venezuelan conspiracy claims
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The United States on Tuesday rejected Venezuela’s allegations of a conspiracy, saying it was “absurd” to assert Washington was somehow behind President Hugo Chávez’s cancer.
“We completely reject the Venezuelan government’s claim that the United States is involved in any type of conspiracy to destabilize the Venezuelan government,” State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said in a statement.
Issuing statements before Chavez’s death was announced, the Pentagon confirmed the expulsion of two Air Force officers from the U.S. embassy in Caracas while the State Department condemned allegations of a plot to undermine Venezuela.
“An assertion that the United States was somehow involved in causing President Chavez’s illness is absurd, and we definitively reject it,” he said.
Despite deep differences between the two governments, the U.S. had sought a more productive relationship, he said, but the “fallacious assertion” against Washington showed Caracas was “not interested in an improved relationship.”
He added that the U.S. had the option of taking retaliatory actions against Venezuelan diplomats under the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations.
The expulsions were announced after Vice President Nicolás Maduro had accused the country’s “historic enemies” of causing Chavez’s cancer.
Maduro alleged the expelled U.S. military officers had been seeking out active Venezuelan military officials to obtain information about the armed forces and propose “destabilization projects.”
The Pentagon identified the two expelled Air Force officers as David Delmonaco and Devlin Kostal.
You may be interested
After eight years, Turrialba Volcano National Park reopens to the publicAlejandro Zúñiga - December 5, 2020
After eight years closed due to the threat of volcanic activity, Turrialba Volcano National Park reopened to the public on…
Health Ministry approves protocols for therapeutic abortions in Costa RicaAlejandro Zúñiga - December 5, 2020
The Health Ministry said this week that it has approved a protocol which medical professionals will follow when performing therapeutic…
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Friday, December 4Alejandro Zúñiga - December 4, 2020
Costa Rica suffered 42 new coronavirus-related deaths between Wednesday and Friday for a total of 1,773, according to official data…