• Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Truckers strike causes countrywide gas shortages

September 4, 2012

José Miguel Masís, president of the Chamber of Fuel Businesses, said Tuesday that 70 percent of the country’s 350 gas stations are reporting shortages of all types of fuel, while the remaining 30 percent of stations face shortages of at least one type of fuel, mostly diesel.

“We have reports that gas stations have enough supplies just for today, so we expect a prompt response from the government officials,” he said.

On Tuesday morning, Environment Minister René Castro said 30 groups of officials from that agency will visit gas stations with orders to close them if they refuse to sell fuel.

National Police Director Juan José Andrade also told local media that police are guarding National Oil Refinery facilities in Ochomogo,Cartago, and La Garita, Alajuela, to ensure that truckers not participating in the strike are able to access fuel.

Truck drivers began a strike on Monday prompted by a government decision not to renew permits for some 100 older model fuel trucks.

You may be interested

Central America begins ban to protect lobster
Fishing
1699 views
Fishing
1699 views

Central America begins ban to protect lobster

AFP and The Tico Times - February 27, 2021

Countries of Central America and the Dominican Republic on Monday will begin a ban to protect the Caribbean spiny lobster…

Costa Rica authorizes AstraZeneca vaccine against Covid-19
Costa Rica
2480 views
Costa Rica
2480 views

Costa Rica authorizes AstraZeneca vaccine against Covid-19

The Tico Times - February 27, 2021

Costa Rican health authorities on Friday authorized the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine against Covid-19, based on the endorsement of…

Nearly 100 locations now offer antigen tests for travelers in Costa Rica
Costa Rica
3275 views
Costa Rica
3275 views

Nearly 100 locations now offer antigen tests for travelers in Costa Rica

Alejandro Zúñiga - February 26, 2021

Several countries, including the United States, require that returning travelers test negative for the coronavirus. More than 100 labs in…