No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchivePresident Lays First Stone Of San José’s Chinatown

President Lays First Stone Of San José’s Chinatown

On the esplanade of San José’s La Soledad Church, Costa Rican President Oscar Arias, the mayor of Costa Rica’s capital city and the mayor of the Chinese capital of Beijing met last week to lay the first stone of Costa Rica’s future Chinatown.

The project will take root along the Paseo de los Estudiantes, between Avenida 2 and 14, in a downtown area that already boasts a variety of Chinese-owned businesses, restaurants and shops.

These 8,300 square meters will receive an architectural makeover to resemble what Arias called “a tiny China,” the latest in a string of gifts that have come from the Asian giant since the countries established bilateral relations just over two years ago.

The Chinese Embassy in Costa Rica will donate $1 million to the project, while the San JoséMunicipality will pick up the remainder of the cost, estimated at $300,000, according to the newswire EFE.

“San José’s Chinatown will be much more than just a festive corner of the capital city; it will be a demonstration that we’re ready to receive the message of China, receive its friendship and its marvillous lessons hidden in its history,” Arias said.

The Barrio chino will feature “symbols belonging to Chinese culture, displayed in harmony with colors that reflect its identity,” according to a government news release. Large, ornate archways will mark the entrance to the new barrio; the street will be a pedestrian-only promenade.

Renovated storefronts, streetlights and benches also will lend the area an “unmistakable” air of a Chinese village, the release said.

Yet some local business owners might need more convincing. Daxiang Lin, who owns a variety store called Daxiang Lin Limitada, said business is doing fine without an official Chinatown and fears that a pedestrian walkway might even hurt sales. “People won’t buy big things if cars can’t pass here,” he said in an interview after the idea was launched last year (TT, Sept. 26, 2008).

San Jose’s Chinatown is expected to be completed by June 2010.

–Alex Leff

 

Trending Now

Costa Rica Warns Fuel and Food Prices May Rise From Middle East Shock

Costa Rican consumers are expected to begin feeling the first effects of the inflationary shock linked to the conflict in the Middle East starting...

Global Leaders Arrive in Costa Rica for Presidential Transition

Costa Rica will host delegations from around the world Friday as Laura Fernández is sworn in as the country’s next president, turning the May...

Trump Says He Would Not Pay $1,000 for U.S. World Cup Opener

President Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that he would not pay the $1,000-plus ticket price for the United States' first World...

Yara Jiménez Becomes Fifth Woman to Lead Costa Rica’s Congress

Yara Jiménez Fallas was elected president of Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly on Friday, becoming the fifth woman to lead the country's Congress and opening...

Costa Rica Court Orders Urgent Action to Protect Tempisque River

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered several state agencies and local governments to act together to address the degradation of the Tempisque River, after...

Costa Rica on Track for First Sub-800 Homicide Year Since 2022

After three consecutive years hovering near or above 870 homicides, Costa Rica appears poised to break the cycle. The Organismo de Investigación Judicial (OIJ)...
Avatar
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel