No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveGuatemalan President: Peacekeepers Killed in Congo were Heroes

Guatemalan President: Peacekeepers Killed in Congo were Heroes

GUATEMALA CITY (EFE) – Guatemalan President Oscar Berger said Monday that the eight Guatemalan peacekeepers killed in a clash in the Democratic Republic of the Congo were “heroes.”

“Sadly, they died, but they are a symbol that Guatemala can participate in processes in support of democracy, in support of liberty, in support of peace, and if that is our task, we will continue to do it,” Berger said.

Berger, who is also commander-in-chief of the armed forces, said the other Guatemalan peacekeepers would continue their mission in the troubled African nation.

The Guatemalan peacekeeping contingent, which traveled to Congo on Nov. 23, was made up of 105 soldiers.

Berger expressed his condolences to the families of the dead soldiers and said the possibility of providing compensation to the peacekeepers’ relatives would be examined.

He said he was awaiting a call from U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan and had received a condolence call and offer of help in bringing home the bodies of the fallen peacekeepers from the U.S. Embassy.

Army spokesman Jorge Ortega said that the names of the eight dead and at least 14 wounded soldiers were not yet known.

“It’s part of the cost of achieving peace,” Ortega said.

Opposition Congressman Mario Rayo said Congress would issue a declaration to honor the fallen soldiers and they would likely be granted posthumous decorations.

Fighters belonging to the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) ambushed the Guatemalan peacekeepers in Garamba National Park, near the border with Uganda and Sudan. The peacekeepers, members of the Guatemalan army’s special forces, were taking part in an operation that started two weeks ago in the national park.

The clash broke out when the peacekeepers made contact with the rebel fighters at dawn, and the fighting lasted nearly four hours, according to the United Nations Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC).

The United Nations Staff Union said earlier this month that the most dangerous place in the world for U.N. employees in 2005 was the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where 13 staffers were killed last year.

A new contingent of Guatemalan troops left for Haiti Monday to join the U.N. peacekeeping force there. The unit, the third Guatemalan contingent to take part in the United Nations Stabilization Mission (MINUSTAH) in Haiti, consists of 80 soldiers, 40 of whom traveled to the troubled Caribbean island Monday.

 

Trending Now

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Costa Rica Hands Macho Coca and Compadre to US Agents in New York Cases

Costa Rica surrendered two men wanted on United States drug trafficking charges to American agents on this morning, closing extradition proceedings that had run...

Search Intensifies for Missing Hiker in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

Rescue teams continued searching today for a 58-year-old man who has been missing for several days inside Chirripó National Park, one of Costa Rica’s...

What the Caribbean Green Alert Means for Your Weekend Plans

If you are going to the Caribbean coast or the Northern Zone over the next few days, plan for rain and give yourself more...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Costa Rica Bets on Dental Tourism to Draw Higher Spending Visitors

Five dental clinic groups received a new certification this month aimed squarely at foreign patients, the clearest signal yet that Costa Rica intends to...

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel