Costa Rica Coffee Guide

10 Years of Café Chorale Celebrated

September 17, 2004

N celebration of the 10th anniversaryof the Café Chorale choir group, membersof the Chorale Institute will perform a“Ten Years of Gold” concert in theNational Auditorium Sunday at 5 p.m.The production will include performancesby members of the youth chorus,followed by an intermediate chorus presentingvarious examples of music genresspanning from the Renaissance era to present-day gospel and jazz.“The second half of the show will featurethe highly acclaimed talents of theCafé Chorale. A collection of 35 members,with 65% of the participants being professionalmusicians,” said David Ramírez,founder of the Chorale Institute.The Café Chorale represents the mostadvanced division of the Chorale Institute,and is composed of 35 members, 90%Costa Ricans and the other 10% from theUnited States, Germany, Columbia andother countries.THE Chorale Institute was founded as aplace to teach and introduce children andyouths to choral music (also known as choirin other parts of the world). In an effort tobroaden horizons and provide a wide spectrumof opportunities, the institute alsooffers classes in voice, classical guitar, basicguitar, piano and various other instruments.Ramírez selected the name whilestudying and performing in the UnitedStates. There he had the opportunity towork with famous conductors includingRoger Wagner, whom Ramírez considersto have founded the concept of chorale.When starting the institute, “I chose tocombine chorale with a spontaneous placewhere people go to relax and enjoy listeningto music. This is how the name CaféChorale came about,” Ramírez said.DURING the last 10 years the CaféChorale has produced four compact discs –three containing Latin rhythms and oneclassical. Members have made a televisionprogram in Costa Rica and a radio show inSwitzerland. These efforts have helpedestablish and raise awareness of choralethroughout Costa Rica.“The goal is to bring other chorusgroups into Costa Rica to generate a newmovement,” Ramírez said.The Café Chorale has won countlesscontests and received a myriad of awardson both national and international stages.They have captured eight medals inEurope, represented Central America in the2000 ACDA Western DivisionCompetition, took first place in a field representedby 54 countries in competition inGermany in 2003, and won the highestrecognition of the arts in Costa Rica, theNational Music award in 1999 and 2003.RAMÍREZ founded the ChoraleInstitute in Costa Rica in 1994. Since then,the institute has grown and received anincreasing amount of recognition.From 20 members in the beginning to35 now, available spots are few and highlysought after. At the beginning of each yearauditions are held, and individuals from allover the world vie for a chance to earn oneof the rare one or two spots available ineach section.“Not only have the programs grown,but the individuals as well. Seven membersof the Café Chorale started out 10 yearsago as members of the youth chorus,” saidRamírez, teacher and conductor of theCafé Chorale.The children’s division has 40 membersand the youth section includes 30members.The Café Chorale is preparing to representCosta Rica at the InternationalHarmony Festival 2005, in Limberg,Germany where 60 countries will participatein a competition featuring the finestchoruses from around the world.The National Auditorium is located indowntown San José on Ave. 2, next to theCultural Plaza. For more info or reservations,call 263-5509 or 393-8312.

You may be interested

Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Wednesday, September 30
Costa Rica
5585 views
Costa Rica
5585 views

Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Wednesday, September 30

Alejandro Zúñiga - September 30, 2020

Costa Rica announced 24 new coronavirus-related deaths over the last day for a total of 904, according to official data…

Some 34 million jobs lost in Latin America due to pandemic
Business
3340 views
Business
3340 views

Some 34 million jobs lost in Latin America due to pandemic

Carlos MANDUJANO / AFP - September 30, 2020

The two aspirers for the presidency of Costa Rica, the evangelical preacher Fabricio Alvarado and the former minister Carlos Alvarado, reach the closing of the electoral campaign for April 1st with a technical draw, according to a poll disclosed this Friday.

CureVac launches second stage of vaccine clinical trials in Peru and Panama
News
21363 views
News
21363 views

CureVac launches second stage of vaccine clinical trials in Peru and Panama

AFP - September 30, 2020

The German pharmaceutical company CureVac announced that it has started Phase 2 clinical trials of its experimental vaccine against Covid-19,…