Poll: Two-Thirds of Ticos Support CAFTA

March 26, 2004

NEARLY two thirds (64%) of Costa Ricans polled recently said they are in favor of the Central America Free-Trade Agreement (CAFTA) with the United States and slightly more than half (54%)

said they believe it will benefit the country.

Approximately one in five people surveyed believe CAFTA will be detrimental to the country (18%), and a similar number (18%) said deputies should reject it, according to a poll released last week by Unimer and the daily La Nación.

The new poll marks an increase in support for the free-trade pact, compared to September 2003. Since then, the number of CAFTA supporters has increased by 7%, while the number of opponents dropped by 7%.

Costa Ricans with a college education are more likely to support CAFTA than those without it. People under 30, people in the middle- and upper-income brackets and people living in the greater San José metropolitan area are also more likely to support CAFTA, according to the latest poll.

Nearly three quarters (73%) of those polled said they were informed about CAFTA, while the remaining 27% said they were uninformed.

The poll was conducted between Feb. 23 and March 3 and claims a margin of error of 2.6%.

 

Facebook Comments

You may be interested

Costa Rica to begin administering HPV vaccine
Costa Rica
2 views
Costa Rica
2 views

Costa Rica to begin administering HPV vaccine

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 25, 2019

The Social Security System (CCSS) announced Wednesday that Costa Rica will begin administering the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine as…

Costa Rica approves law against child abuse prepared by alleged victims of priest
Costa Rica
8 views
Costa Rica
8 views

Costa Rica approves law against child abuse prepared by alleged victims of priest

AFP and The Tico Times - April 24, 2019

Costa Rica’s congress approved on Tuesday a bill that extends the statute of limitations for the crime of sexual abuse…

International drug rehab in Costa Rica with the Costa Rica Treatment Center
Sponsored content
12 views
Sponsored content
12 views

International drug rehab in Costa Rica with the Costa Rica Treatment Center

The Tico Times - April 24, 2019

Costa Rica Treatment Center understands the process of addiction recovery from personal experience. Their evidence-based treatment programs are engineered to…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!