No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveU.S. Pastor Faces Extradition on Fraud Charges

U.S. Pastor Faces Extradition on Fraud Charges

A businessman and former San José pastor, Richard Hinkle, was arrested here last week after a U.S. District Court in Pennsylvania requested his extradition on charges of fraud, according to representatives of the Judicial Branch.

Prosec utors in the United States allege Hinkle swindled 30 people out of a total of  $3.6 million through the now-defunct Cornerstone International Bank on the Caribbean island of Grenada, said Marcia

Bosshardt, spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in San José.

According to wire reports, prosecutors also claim Hinkle paid investors about $640,000 while diverting money to his own accounts. He is charged with 19 counts of wire fraud and 40 counts of money laundering, the Associated Press reported.

COSTA Rican judicial authorities sentenced Hinkle to two months in preventive prison on Feb. 27, a standard sentence in extradition cases since that is the amount of time requesting countries have to submit paperwork required by Costa Rican law.

The 38-year-old suspect is being held in San Sebastian Prison in San José, said Sandra Castro, spokeswoman for the Judicial Branch.

A Grenada high court ordered Cornerstone International Bank to liquidate its assets in July 2003, according to a release from J.A. Seales & Co., a West Indies law firm. Hinkle claimed to have worked as an “office coordinator” at the bank, but told The Tico Times he had no official title (TT, Nov. 7, 2003).

HINKLE, who also owns the Brand Fashion clothing store in the Real Cariari Mall, was the victim of a kidnapping in October of last year, which he speculated then might have had something to do with his involvement at the now-defunct bank in Grenada.

The three-day ordeal began with Hinkle’s capture at gunpoint in front of his wife and four of his six children, and ended when a special Costa Rican police unit raided an Escazú apartment and rescued him (TT, Oct. 31, 2003).

Hinkle’s suspected kidnappers, 52- year-old Yadira Arguedas and 39-year-old Rafael Fallas, a former police officer, are still serving preventative prison sentences assigned after the kidnapping, Castro said. Hinkle told The Tico Times last October, “There are people from my past who might be trying to get even with me, but I didn’t do anything wrong or illegal.”

Investigators from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) visited Hinkle in Costa Rica after the kidnapping, a step taken only when the FBI has a special interest in persons or circumstances involved in the crime, according to the U.S. Embassy (TT, Nov. 7, 2003).

 

Trending Now

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Costa Rica Hands Macho Coca and Compadre to US Agents in New York Cases

Costa Rica surrendered two men wanted on United States drug trafficking charges to American agents on this morning, closing extradition proceedings that had run...

Latin American Players Make Early Push at Cincinnati Open

Latin American players made an immediate impact as the Cincinnati Open main draw began Thursday, with Argentina’s Mariano Navone and Thiago Agustín Tirante advancing...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel