No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveInterpol removes ex-guerrilla Edén Pastora from wanted people list

Interpol removes ex-guerrilla Edén Pastora from wanted people list

Nicaraguan Edén Pastora no longer appears on the International Police (Interpol) list of wanted persons, giving the ex-guerrilla an upper hand in the latest dispute between the neighboring countries.

On Dec. 17, Costa Rica sent Interpol a request to include Pastora on their wanted persons list on charges of “usurping public property” and “violating Costa Rica’s Forestry Law.” These actions refer to dredging works Pastora conducted at the Río San Juan – that functions as a natural border between the two countries – and that Costa Rica claims caused several environmental damage to its territory. The alert prompted Interpol to add the former guerrilla known as “Comandante Cero” to the list.

As of Friday, Pastora’s name is no longer on the agency’s website. Nicaragua’s Channel 15 reported that Pastora said Interpol removed his photo and name from the list “thanks to petitions sent by the Foreign Ministry and the National Police last December.”

Pastora previously told Nicaraguan media that Costa Rica’s request “was a joke not to be taken seriously [by the Interpol].”

He told Channel 15 that he has not committed any crime and that all charges were issued for actions conducted in a territory that currently is under dispute before the International Court of Justice (ICJ). Therefore, he said, neither Costa Rica or Nicaragua have jurisdiction over it.

A press release from Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) states that the warrant against Pastora is still active in Costa Rica, even though his name was taken off Interpol’s website “following a request by Nicaraguan officials that pointed out the current dispute between both countries that remains before the ICJ.”  Supreme Court spokeswoman Melania Chacón denied Friday afternoon that the country’s judicial branch had revoked any of its charges against Pastora.

The order against Pastora was issued by a court in the Caribbean canton of Pococí. According to the OIJ, “Pastora will be arrested and prosecuted in the case that he enters Costa Rican territory.”

Watch Pastora’s interview on Nicaragua’s Channel 15 (in Spanish):

 

Trending Now

Study Finds Half of the World’s Coral Reefs Hit by Mass Bleaching

Half of the planet’s coral reefs suffered major damage from a heatwave that occurred almost a decade ago, according to research released Tuesday, which...

February Slump Hits Costa Rica Hotels: Weather and Airfares to Blame

Hotel operators in Guanacaste and the Central Pacific report lower occupancy rates for February 2026 than in the same month of 2024 and 2025....

Chile Launches Latam GPT to Build a Less Biased AI for Latin America

Move over ChatGPT -- Chile will launch Latam-GPT, an open-source artificial intelligence model designed to combat biases built by the primarily US-centric industry. Developped...

Costa Rica’s High Court Overturns Border Denial Tied to Passport Sketches

Costa Rica's Constitutional Court, known as Sala IV, has ruled against immigration officials who blocked a Chilean man from entering the country due to...

Venezuelan opposition leader returns to prison hours after his release

Juan Pablo Guanipa was free for less than 12 hours. The Venezuelan opposition leader returned to prison after a brief release, which he used...

Costa Rica Faces ₡1 Billion Bill from Home Damages Due to Fires and Floods

Natural disasters and severe weather events led to more than ₡1 billion in payouts for damaged homes last year, data from the National Insurance...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica