No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessCosta Rica constitutional court rules in favor of state-run company's right to...

Costa Rica constitutional court rules in favor of state-run company’s right to block Facebook users

A ruling issued last month by Costa Rica’s Constitutional Chamber of the Supreme Court, or Sala IV, could set a precedent by allowing companies to block from their Facebook profiles users who post comments that affect the companies’ commercial interests.

The ruling responded to a complaint by a citizen who was blocked from the Facebook page of Kölbi, the telecommunications subsidiary of state-owned Costa Rica Electricity Institute (ICE), for posting comments suggesting false advertising. The plaintiff claimed ICE’s ban affected his freedom of expression.

In its defense ICE argued the plaintiff violated the company’s Facebook code of conduct by posting inappropriate comments and promoting other telecom companies.

Sala IV justices stated that they were unable to confirm the allegations of false advertising, and that ICE, despite being a public agency, acted in its commercial role through their telecommunications brand Kölbi.

“For that reason, and from a business perspective, blocking the user cannot be considered suppression or limitation of the freedom of opinion,” justices ruled.

They also said the comments were posted on Kölbi’s Facebook profile, and not on the plaintiff’s own page, therefore the company has the right to regulate content to protect their commercial rights.

Justices also said that even if a Facebook profile is open to the public, it does not enable the plantiff to post comments discrediting Kölbi’s advertising messages. They also recommended the plaintiff refer directly to Facebook regarding international standards of alleged false advertising.

ICE officials said they communicated to the user in an email the reasons for blocking him, and he had the opportunity to challenge the decision at the Telecommunications Superintendency.

The ruling is the first of its kind in Costa Rica related to a publication on a business Facebook page. Therefore, it is the first legal precedent that could influence how similar cases are resolved in the future, attorneys at the San José-based law firm Ferris & Asociados said.

The Sala IV in December 2012 ruled in favor of a plaintiff in a similar claim, but the case involved the blocking of a user on the Facebook profile of a government agency. That claim was filed by a citizen who was blocked from the Casa Presidencial Facebook page for posting alleged inapropiate remarks against then-President Laura Chinchilla.

At the time, justices said the ban “infringed the plaintiff’s rights to freely express his opinion regarding a public agency’s [the Presidency] post.”

Trending Now

Starlink Expands Business Internet Access in Rural Costa Rica

Liberty Empresas has been authorized to resell Starlink’s high-speed satellite internet in Costa Rica, opening a new option for businesses, schools and organizations operating...

Costa Rica and U.S. Expand Joint Patrol Agreement to Combat Illegal Fishing

Costa Rica and the United States have expanded their Joint Patrol Agreement to include the fight against illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, adding marine...

Costa Rica Weather Forecast Calls for Heavier Afternoon Storms This Week

Costa Rica will see warm mornings and stormy afternoons this week as Caribbean moisture moves across our country and helps fuel early rainy-season weather...

Shakira Draws Two Million Fans to Historic Copacabana Beach Concert

Latin pop queen Shakira delighted crowds of two million that packed Rio's famed Copacabana beach under a full moon Saturday, delivering fan-favorite hits and words...

Costa Rica swears in Laura Fernández Friday as second female president

Laura Fernández will be sworn in Friday, May 8, as Costa Rica's 49th president, succeeding Rodrigo Chaves at a ceremony that will mark several...

Keylor Navas Helps Pumas Hold América in Wild Liga MX Playoff Opener

Keylor Navas and Pumas left the former Estadio Azteca with the Liga MX quarterfinal series still alive after a wild 3-3 draw against América...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel