No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveAmbassador Trivelli Downplays Award Snafu

Ambassador Trivelli Downplays Award Snafu

MANAGUA – The working relationship between the U.S. Embassy and the Sandinista government – which has been at times diplomatically tense, yet remained relatively stable – became notably less courteous last week when President Daniel Ortega blasted Ambassador Paul Trivelli as an envoy representing a “Yankee” policy that is “disrespectful and meddlesome.”

Ortega’s comments came after the official government daily, La Gaceta, reported that Trivelli was scheduled to receive the government’s José de Marcoleta Order of the Great Cross – a protocol recognition given to all departing ambassadors.

Trivelli’s three-year post as ambassador to Nicaragua ends next month.

Ortega, however, announced that he was taking back the decorative honor before it could be pinned on Trivelli’s lapel.

“The president of the republic is going to give an order to someone who represents a policy of disrespectful meddling against the Nicaraguan people? No, there will be no order from the president for the Yankee ambassador! There will no order! Let that be totally clear,” Ortega said emphatically, adding that he had already ordered La Gaceta to annul the official resolution that gave Trivelli the award.

The ambassador, for his part, opted to downplay the situation, saying that the award business is up to the government of Nicaragua. He said he hadn’t even been officially notified that he was set to receive an award.

The award, however, is considered a courtesy protocol to all departing envoys; the past three U.S. ambassadors to Nicaragua received the award from the foreign minister upon completing their posts here, according to embassy spokeswoman Kristin Stewart.

Ex-foreign minister and political analyst Emilio Alvarez said that Ortega’s lack of courtesy with Trivelli shows that he “doesn’t pardon old actions” from the days of the 2006 presidential election, when the U.S. ambassador was criticized for campaigning against Ortega.

But in diplomatic terms, the analyst said, the lack of a proper send-off for Trivelli sends an unfriendly message to Washington, D.C. And though Alvarez said he doesn’t think the incident will have too much echo in diplomatic terms, it shows the Ortega administration’s “ambivalence” and the “instability of its international relations.”

Alvarez defends the work of Trivelli, who he says on a professional level did a good job representing his government’s message here, and on a personal level showed concern for the needs of the poor, especially by helping to facilitate the U.S. Millennium Challenge Account and responding to the devastation of last year’s Hurricane Felix.

“You can’t say he was indifferent” about the situation of the poor, Alvarez said. “If anything, he was hyperactive.”

Trivelli, 54, says he is proud of what was accomplished during his period as ambassador here. During an interview with The Nica Times last year, the ambassador said what has always impressed him the most about Nicaragua is “the warmth of its people and the fact that a majority of Nicaraguans have a genuinely positive attitude toward the United States.”

Trivelli will be replaced as ambassador here by Robert Callahan, the former righthand man to John Negroponte, who served as one of the architects of the Contra war while U.S. ambassador to Honduras in the 1980s.

 

Trending Now

What Is the Scope of the Mega-Trial Against MS-13 Leaders in El Salvador?

Shackled hand and foot, visibly aged, the MS-13 leaders on trial in El Salvador are now only a shadow of the violent gang members...

Porter Airlines to Start Direct Toronto–San José Flights in December

Canadian carrier Porter Airlines will begin direct seasonal service between Toronto Pearson International Airport and Juan Santamaría International Airport on December 2, 2026, opening...

Salvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

The influential digital newspaper El Faro denounced on Thursday that the government of Nayib Bukele froze assets belonging to its partners in retaliation for...

Keylor Navas Helps Pumas Hold América in Wild Liga MX Playoff Opener

Keylor Navas and Pumas left the former Estadio Azteca with the Liga MX quarterfinal series still alive after a wild 3-3 draw against América...

Salvadorans Protest Bukele’s Policies in May Day March

Thousands of Salvadorans marched through the capital on May 1 to denounce what they called democratic setbacks under President Nayib Bukele and to demand...

Costa Rica Press Freedom Under Scrutiny After US Visa Revocations

Just days before Costa Rica inaugurates its new president, a deeply troubling development has cast a shadow over the country’s long-standing reputation as a...
Avatar
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel