No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCosta RicaSan José Official Resigns After Nightlife Rules Are Halted

San José Official Resigns After Nightlife Rules Are Halted

A senior San José municipal official who helped develop controversial new rules for bars, restaurants and live entertainment has resigned, days after the city government withdrew the proposal for further review. Jéssica Martínez stepped down Friday as manager of Municipal Management and Urban Development. The Municipality of San José said she resigned voluntarily for personal reasons after working for the institution for approximately a year and a half.

Mayor Diego Miranda denied that her departure was connected to the public backlash over the proposed Public Entertainment Regulations. He also said he had not requested her resignation. Martínez had been one of the leading municipal officials defending the proposal, which sought to regulate live music, DJs, karaoke, dancing and other entertainment offered by businesses across the capital.

The draft regulations drew strong objections from restaurant and bar owners, musicians, DJs, event producers and cultural organizations. Critics argued that the rules would damage San José’s nightlife, reduce paid opportunities for performers and place excessive restrictions on legally operating businesses.

Among the most disputed provisions was a ban on dancing in restaurants. Live music, DJs and karaoke could be offered only as secondary activities and could not involve dancing, admission charges, minimum purchases or other practices associated with nightclubs and dance halls.

The proposal also established a 10 p.m. limit for certain public entertainment activities and allowed temporary closures of up to 24 hours for violations.Municipal officials defended the proposal as an attempt to bring San José’s outdated regulations into line with current zoning, liquor and public-health rules.

They also said the city needed better tools to address businesses operating as nightclubs while holding licenses for bars or restaurants, particularly in mixed commercial and residential neighborhoods.The controversy intensified after business and cultural groups complained that they had not been adequately consulted before the Municipal Council initially approved the proposal on July 7.

On Tuesday, July 14, the council unanimously approved a motion to reconsider that decision. The proposal was returned to the Legal Affairs Commission for additional analysis and consultations with businesses, artists, entertainment workers and residents living near nightlife districts. The move effectively stopped the regulations from advancing toward publication and final approval in their existing form.

Miranda had already asked the council to restart discussions and create a broader dialogue following the criticism. That process could produce a substantially revised proposal, although the municipality has not abandoned its stated goal of balancing commercial activity with the rights of residents affected by noise and late-night entertainment.

Martínez’s resignation adds another layer to a dispute that has placed San José’s nightlife economy under greater scrutiny. Her departure does not formally end the regulatory process, but it removes one of the officials most closely associated with the original proposal.

The Municipal Council must now decide whether to rewrite the regulations, replace them with a narrower set of rules or begin the process again with wider public participation

Trending Now

New York Lawyers Group Raises Alarm Over Costa Rica Court Budget Cuts

One of the oldest and largest bar associations in the United States has asked two international bodies to keep watch over Costa Rica's judiciary,...

Costa Rica Opens Consular Line in Colombia as Earthquake Toll Climbs Past 70

Costa Rica's embassy has opened consular lines in Colombia after Monday's magnitude 7.4 earthquake. Seven airports are shut, Bogotá is still operating, and Avianca and LATAM are waiving change fees.

Costa Rica Opens Eight-Lane Circunvalación Bridge in San José

All eight lanes of the Circunvalación bridge over the María Aguilar River reopened yesterday, restoring normal traffic on one of San José’s busiest highways...

Costa Rica’s “Pecho de Rata” Weighs Possible U.S. Plea Deal

Edwin Danney López Vega, the Costa Rican alleged drug trafficker known as “Pecho de Rata,” could avoid a full jury trial in the United...

The Unexpected Reason Some Travelers May Prefer Costa Rica

My friend Tomas has worked most of his life in one kind of tourism or another. He’s 100 percent Tico but spent many years...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Costa Rica President Declares Security and Intelligence Information a ‘State Secret’

President Laura Fernández has placed a broad range of Costa Rican security and intelligence information under a “State Secret” designation, restricting public access to...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel