No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsLatin AmericaUS Southern Command Says 11 Killed in Three Strikes on Suspected Drug...

US Southern Command Says 11 Killed in Three Strikes on Suspected Drug Boats

Three attacks in the Pacific and the Caribbean against boats allegedly carrying drug traffickers left eleven people dead, the U.S. armed forces said on Tuesday. The attacks took place on Monday and resulted in “four dead on the first vessel in the eastern Pacific, four on the second vessel in the eastern Pacific, and three on the third vessel in the Caribbean,” U.S. Southern Command reported in a post.

The United States began its campaign against these suspected drug-running boats in September and has since killed at least 140 people in nearly 40 attacks. The post includes videos of the strikes on the three vessels, two of which were stationary when they were bombed, while a third was traveling at high speed.

In the videos, people can be seen moving inside two of the boats before the attacks. Donald Trump’s government insists it is at war with alleged “narco-terrorists” operating in Latin America, but it has not provided conclusive evidence that the vessels it targets are involved in drug trafficking, sparking a heated debate over the legality of the operations.

International law experts and human rights groups say the strikes likely amount to extrajudicial executions, since they apparently targeted civilians who posed no immediate threat to the United States. The government has drawn parallels to decades of operations against alleged jihadists in countries such as Yemen, Somalia, or Syria, where targets were also hit despite not presenting an imminent threat.

Washington deployed a massive naval force in the Caribbean that, in addition to disrupting these alleged maritime smuggling routes, also helped enforce an oil blockade against Venezuela and capture its leftist president, Nicolás Maduro, who is currently being held in the United States.

The centerpiece of the flotilla, the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford, was sent last week to the Middle East along with several accompanying destroyers as part of the threat of military intervention against Iran.

Trending Now

US Keeps Travel Warning for Guatemala After January Gang Attacks

The U.S. State Department keeps Guatemala at a Level 3 "Reconsider Travel" advisory due to crime. Officials issued the current version in late December...

Costa Rica National Surf Circuit 2026 Begins at Playa Cocles

The national surf circuit launches its 2026 season this weekend at Playa Cocles in Talamanca, drawing over 140 competitors to the Caribbean coast. From...

Godfather and Apocalypse Now actor Robert Duvall dead at 95

Robert Duvall, who played the smooth mafia lawyer in "The Godfather" and stole the show with his depiction of a surfing-crazed colonel in "Apocalypse...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Shuts Down Again After Landslide Near Zurquí

Drivers heading to Limón faced another roadblock Saturday night when a landslide closed Route 32 at kilometer 28 near the Zurquí sector in Braulio...

Study Finds Half of the World’s Coral Reefs Hit by Mass Bleaching

Half of the planet’s coral reefs suffered major damage from a heatwave that occurred almost a decade ago, according to research released Tuesday, which...

Tourist arrivals to Costa Rica by air grew in January

Tourist arrivals to Costa Rica by air rose 10.3 percent in January 2026 compared to the same month last year, according to data released...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica