No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeSportKyrgios Eyes Australian Open Return with Kooyong Classic Entry

Kyrgios Eyes Australian Open Return with Kooyong Classic Entry

Nick Kyrgios has given his strongest hint yet of a full-scale return to competitive tennis by entering the Kooyong Classic, a key warm-up ahead of the 2026 Australian Open.

The Australian star, known for his flair and crowd-pulling antics, signed up for the exhibition event on Tuesday. Set for January 13 to 15 at Melbourne’s Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club, the three-day tournament sits just days before the Grand Slam kicks off at Melbourne Park on January 18.

Kyrgios, now 30, has faced a tough run with injuries that sidelined him from the ATP Tour since his last appearance at the Miami Open in March 2025. Over the past three years, he has dealt with serious knee and wrist issues that required multiple surgeries and limited him to a handful of matches. His ranking has dropped to 666, but his entry into Kooyong suggests he aims to rebuild form and push for a wildcard spot at his home Slam.

Organizers announced Kyrgios alongside a strong field that includes world No. 8 Lorenzo Musetti, the entertaining Alexander Bublik at No. 11, and Italian standouts Flavio Cobolli and Matteo Berrettini. Cobolli and Berrettini come fresh off leading Italy to Davis Cup glory, adding extra buzz to the lineup. Reports also indicate Andy Murray, the three-time Grand Slam champion, might join, though that’s yet to be confirmed.

This move comes after Kyrgios shared positive updates on his recovery. Earlier in November, he spoke to media about a sudden turnaround in his knee condition. “It’s not swelling. It’s not feeling bad after a session,” he said. “I don’t know whether to call it a miracle or anything, but my knee feels like it’s gotten younger by a couple of years.”

Fans have waited eagerly for Kyrgios to step back onto the court. His last major run came at the 2022 Wimbledon, where he reached the final and lost to Novak Djokovic in a thrilling four-setter. At the Australian Open, he has a strong history, including a doubles title in 2022 with Thanasi Kokkinakis and several deep singles runs, like the quarterfinals in 2015. His absence has left a gap in the tournament’s energy, as his matches often draw packed crowds and create electric atmospheres.

Kooyong itself holds a special place in Australian tennis history. The event, held at the historic club that once hosted the Australian Open from 1972 to 1987, serves as a relaxed yet competitive prep for the Slam. Players use it to test their games on hard courts similar to those at Melbourne Park, without the pressure of ranking points. Past participants have included legends like Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, who tuned up there before claiming titles down the road.

For Kyrgios, Kooyong fits into a busy preseason schedule designed to shake off the rust. He heads to the World Tennis League in India next month, a team-based exhibition running December 18 to 21, 2025. There, he’ll team up with other pros in a format that mixes singles, doubles, and mixed doubles. Following that, he faces a unique challenge in Dubai: a “Battle of the Sexes” match against women’s world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka. The one-off event, hyped for its entertainment value, pits Kyrgios’s power against Sabalenka’s baseline strength, echoing historic showdowns like Billie Jean King versus Bobby Riggs.

These exhibitions mark a strategic buildup for Kyrgios, who has openly discussed the mental and physical toll of his injuries. In interviews over the past year, he admitted to moments of doubt about ever returning to top-level play. “Tennis is a grind, and when your body betrays you, it tests everything,” he told reporters last summer. But his recent progress has shifted the narrative. Trainers close to him report improved mobility and endurance in practice sessions, fueling optimism that he could make a meaningful impact at the Australian Open.

Tennis Australia officials have not yet announced wildcards for the 2026 event, but Kyrgios stands as a prime candidate. His star power remains unmatched in the local scene; even during his hiatus, he stayed in the spotlight through commentary gigs, podcasts, and social media, where his candid takes on the sport attract millions. Granting him entry would boost ticket sales and media interest, especially with the men’s field potentially missing some veterans due to retirements or form dips.

Musetti, one of the Kooyong entrants, brings his own flair. The 23-year-old Italian reached the Wimbledon semifinals in 2024 and has climbed steadily with his one-handed backhand and all-court game. Bublik, from Kazakhstan, adds unpredictability with his trick shots and big serving, much like Kyrgios himself. Berrettini, a former Wimbledon finalist, has battled injuries too but showed resilience in the Davis Cup finals, where Italy defeated Argentina. Cobolli, at 23, represents the next wave of Italian talent, with recent wins over top-20 players.

The Kooyong field underscores a trend in preseason events: blending established names with rising stars to create compelling matchups. For Kyrgios, facing this group will provide valuable reps. He last played at Kooyong in 2019, where he entertained fans with his signature tweeners and underarm serves. Returning there could rekindle that spark.

Beyond the court, Kyrgios’s comeback carries broader implications for Australian tennis. With Alex de Minaur leading the charge as the nation’s top-ranked player, and Kokkinakis pushing for consistency, Kyrgios’s presence would energize the home contingent. Young Aussies like Alexei Popyrin and Jordan Thompson have stepped up in his absence, but Kyrgios’s charisma draws casual fans who might otherwise skip the early rounds.

As the summer approaches, questions linger about Kyrgios’s fitness for best-of-five-set matches at the Open. His style—relying on explosive serving and shot-making—can mask fitness issues in shorter formats, but Grand Slams demand endurance. Still, his entry into Kooyong signals intent. “I’m not done yet,” he posted on social media last week, alongside training clips.

Tennis followers will watch closely as Kyrgios ramps up. If his knee holds, Melbourne could witness one of the sport’s most anticipated returns. The Kooyong Classic, often a quiet prelude, might just become the stage for his revival.

Trending Now

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...
Steven Hodel
Steven Hodel
Steven Hodel is the Tennis Correspondent for The Tico Times, covering the ATP and WTA tours and Latin American players from his base in Costa Rica. Reach him at steve@ticotimes.net or on X at @theticotimes.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel