No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeSportVenus Williams takes Indian Wells wild cards for singles and doubles

Venus Williams takes Indian Wells wild cards for singles and doubles

Venus Williams will return to the BNP Paribas Open next month after accepting wild cards into both the singles and doubles draws, tournament organizers announced Friday. Williams, 45, a seven-time Grand Slam singles champion and former world No. 1, said she is looking forward to coming back to a tournament she long called home in Southern California.

“I’m so excited to be heading back to Indian Wells and can’t wait to return home to play in California,” Williams said in a statement released by the tournament. Tournament director Tommy Haas said the event was proud to award Williams the first wild card of this year’s tournament.

The BNP Paribas Open is a WTA 1000 event. The women’s main draw is scheduled to run March 4–15, with the overall tournament listed as March 1–15. Williams’ appearance will be her 10th at Indian Wells. She is a three-time singles semifinalist at the event and last played there in 2024, when she lost in the first round as a wild card.

Her return comes after a stop-start stretch on tour. In January, Williams became the oldest woman to compete in an Australian Open singles main draw, and she was beaten in the first round by Serbia’s Olga Danilovic in three sets. Williams had also stepped back from competition for extended periods.

She returned last July at the Washington Open after a 16-month hiatus, playing on a wild card. In doubles at Indian Wells, Williams is expected to team with Leylah Fernandez, her partner during a 2025 U.S. Open run.

Trending Now

Global Leaders Arrive in Costa Rica for Presidential Transition

Costa Rica will host delegations from around the world Friday as Laura Fernández is sworn in as the country’s next president, turning the May...

Costa Rica swears in Laura Fernández Friday as second female president

Laura Fernández will be sworn in Friday, May 8, as Costa Rica's 49th president, succeeding Rodrigo Chaves at a ceremony that will mark several...

Trump Says He Would Not Pay $1,000 for U.S. World Cup Opener

President Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that he would not pay the $1,000-plus ticket price for the United States' first World...

Costa Rica Loses 56,000 Jobs as Workforce Participation Hits Multi-Year Low

Costa Rica shed more than 56,000 jobs in the first quarter of 2026 compared with the same period last year, while an additional 118,000...

Costa Rica Press Freedom Under Scrutiny After US Visa Revocations

Just days before Costa Rica inaugurates its new president, a deeply troubling development has cast a shadow over the country’s long-standing reputation as a...

What Tourists Should Know About Hantavirus and Dengue in Costa Rica

Visitors planning trips to Costa Rica should keep viral illnesses in perspective: hantavirus deserves awareness, but dengue and other mosquito-borne diseases remain the more...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel