Costa Rica’s biggest soccer star will soon be playing elsewhere.
Keylor Navas, the goalkeeper who parlayed a stellar 2014 World Cup performance into a starting role with Real Madrid, has been told he is not part of the Spanish club’s plans for next season, according to multiple reports.
The news was first announced Monday afternoon by Spanish television program Jugones on La Sexta.
Navas, 32, was reportedly told of Real Madrid’s plans directly by manager Zinedine Zidane at the end of last week. He had been relegated to the backup role in recent months following the Spanish club’s signing of Thibaut Courtois in August 2018.
Following a 2017-18 campaign during which he played in 44 fixtures and recorded 11 clean sheets, Navas has appeared in 20 matches in 2019 with seven clean sheets.
Navas will leave Madrid with three Champions Leagues and three European Super Cups, among other accolades that include winning the UEFA Champions League Goalkeeper of the Season for 2017-18.
If Real Madrid indeed moves on from Navas, his final game with the Spanish club will be Sunday against Real Betis.