No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCrimeCorruptionFootball: US releases three FIFA guilty plea transcripts

Football: US releases three FIFA guilty plea transcripts

 NEW YORK — A U.S. judge released Monday transcripts of guilty pleas from three prominent defendants in the sweeping FIFA corruption investigation who confessed to crimes and agreed to pay $37.5 million in compensation.

Former FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb, Argentinian-Italian marketing executive Alejandro Burzaco and Brazilian intermediary Jose Margulies pled guilty last year to racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.

U.S. prosecutors have in total accused 40 officials and marketing executives of soliciting and receiving tens of millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks in a case that has sparked an unprecedented crisis at FIFA.

The transcripts released Monday show three of them expressing regret and suggesting that bribes were standard practice. All three, who are confined to U.S. house arrest, will be sentenced for corruption in New York in June.

“I abused my position to obtain bribes and kickbacks for my personal benefit,” Webb, who suffers from a heart condition, told the judge in pleading guilty to seven counts and confessing to enriching himself from 2012-2014.

He said he was told in 2012 that sports marketing companies would offer “side payments” or bribes in exchange for commercial rights to soccer matches.

“I believed that such offers were common in this business,” he told the judge.

He confessed to receiving bribes for the sale of commercial rights for 2018 and 2022 World Cup qualifying matches, and in 2012, 2013 and 2014, including for the Copa America Centenario tournament, which will be held in June.

“I deeply regret my participation in this illegal conduct,” said the dual Cayman Islands-British citizen who was educated in the United States.

He confessed to conspiring to defraud his employers and conspiracy to commit money laundering offenses by transmitting money from the United States to front accounts in Panama, the Cayman Islands and elsewhere.

Electronic tagging

After his confession, the court last November lifted his security detail and allowed him to leave home in Georgia seven days a week from 8 am to 5 pm, ostensibly to care for his then 18-month-old son.

His wife is a doctor in Atlanta, making Webb “solely responsible” for their child, the court heard. “He is a busy man,” Judge Raymond Dearie said.

His freedom of movement was limited to a 20-mile (32-kilometer) radius and Webb was still subject to electronic tagging.

The documents, released following a request from U.S. media, were still heavily redacted in parts.

Burzaco, 51, the former chairman of the board of Torneos y Competencias S.A., an Argentine sports marketing company, also voiced regret.

“I was wrong,” he said, confessing to paying bribes and kickbacks totaling tens of millions of dollars to multiple soccer officials to obtain marketing rights to various tournaments.

“Torneos and I profited from these payments directly and indirectly by securing these rights,” he said.

Court papers complained last month that Webb kept up a millionaire lifestyle quaffing champagne, gambling and partying while under arrest at the U.S. home he may have purchased “with bribes and kickbacks.”

In a letter to the U.S. attorney’s office, FIFA’s lawyers requested an “immediate” audit of Webb’s funds and assets, expressing concern that he may not have fully disclosed them to the court.

Fifteen individuals have pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with U.S. prosecutors in exchange for a possible reduction in sentence.

Trending Now

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Costa Rica Expands Online English Classes to 100 Rural Schools

More than 2,000 children in rural Costa Rican communities are now receiving English lessons through a technology-based program that connects small schools with specialized...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel