No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsArts and CultureAfter 'FIAsco' Culture Ministry regroups with National Arts Festival 

After ‘FIAsco’ Culture Ministry regroups with National Arts Festival 

After a disastrous International Arts Festival (FIA) last year, Costa Rica’s Culture Ministry announced Thursday it would regroup with another festival that will focus exclusively on national artists and performers in the country’s Southern Zone. FIA will resume in 2017 and 2018.

Culture Minister Sylvie Durán Salvatierra told The Tico Times the ministry is working to re-establish public confidence in the government’s ability to put on the marquee public arts event and others. The arts festival is scheduled for Aug. 5-14 and has a budget of ₡600 million, roughly $1.2 million.

This year’s National Art Festival will be held in Costa Rica’s Southern Zone, an area that encompasses the southernmost parts of the provinces of Puntarenas and San José. Durán said the exact locations would be announced in March. She added that President Luis Guillermo Solís’ administration sees large culture events as a strategic way to motivate tourism and economic growth in different parts of the country. The Southern Zone has many cultural attractions that are little known and the festival could help awareness and greater interest in the area.

Durán said the Culture Ministry is still conducting feasibility studies for the cities in the area that could host events. Specifics are expected in March, she said.

Recommended: How Costa Rica’s 2015 International Arts Festival flopped

Traditionally the arts festival alternates between national and international offerings, Durán said, but the Solís administration decided to hold two FIA’s back-to-back in 2014 and 2015. “That’s been the traditional logic and it’s the correct one. Last year it fell apart so we need to leave it well organized.”

Durán asked people to note that the ministry has hosted several successful events since the “FIAsco” last year.

“[Last year’s festival] was an accident. We have to learn everything we can from it, but look at the last 45 years of events,” Durán said. “We should put things in perspective.”

Artists interested in participating in the festival should visit www.cpac.go.cr after March 8.

In addition to the national arts festival, the Culture Ministry announced its schedule for 2016:

  • Enamórate de tu cuidad – various communities between April through June.
  • National Awards – National Theatre, May 25.
  • “Hecho Aquí Fair – Antigua Aduana, July 1-3.
  • International Book Fair – Antigua Aduana, July 22-31.
  • Multiethnic and Plurinational Celebration Week – CENAC and National Theatre, Aug. 24-29.
  • Oxcart Parade – San José, Nov. 26-27.

 

Trending Now

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Panama Canal Cuts Ship Traffic as El Niño Drought Worsens

The Panama Canal will allow fewer ships to pass through the waterway beginning in September as a drought linked to El Niño reduces the...

Costa Rica Study Examines How Water-Resistant Sunscreen Affects Body Heat

Some water-resistant sunscreens may slightly reduce the body’s ability to cool itself during prolonged exercise in hot conditions, according to research conducted at the...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Costa Rica Flooding Forces 500 Into Shelters as Pacific Side Runs Dry

Two tropical waves in three days left the Caribbean and Northern Zone saturated while the Pacific sits in its driest stretch of the year. Here is what the next four weeks look like.

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel