US tourist denounces rape in Puerto Viejo
A U.S. woman, age 27, filed a criminal complaint against a man who she says raped her last Sunday on a beach in the southern Caribbean town of Puerto Viejo, according to the Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ).
On Tuesday night, National Police officers in Limón province arrested a local resident with the last names Santos Hernández, 38, as the main suspect.
The man was identified after OIJ agents reviewed footage from a security camera at a bar, where both the victim and suspect had been before the alleged rape. The video shows the suspect approaching the victim.
OIJ said Santos has a criminal record associated with rape.
The police report states that the attack occurred last Sunday at around 3 a.m. on a beach near the bar where the suspect approached the victim. According to the statement “the man forced the tourist to leave the bar, [and] took her to the beach, where he allegedly raped her.”
The Prosecutor’s Office said Thursday morning that a criminal court in the Caribbean canton of Bribri ordered preventive prison for three months against the suspect while OIJ agents proceed with the investigation.
You may be interested
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Monday, May 10The Tico Times - May 11, 2021
There are 1,280 people in Costa Rica hospitalized with Covid-19, a new record, the Health Ministry said in its Monday…
Costa Rica announces few new restrictions in face of saturated hospitalsAlejandro Zúñiga - May 10, 2021
Costa Rica on Monday announced new measures to address the saturation of its public health system due to Covid-19. Commercial…