• Tico Travel Surfing
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

FIFA president Sepp Blatter faces criminal proceedings

November 3, 2015

Switzerland’s top prosecutor said Friday that criminal proceedings had been opened against FIFA chief Sepp Blatter, on suspicion that he misappropriated funds and violated his duties as the head of world football’s governing body.

“Swiss criminal proceedings against the President of FIFA, Mr. Sepp Blatter, have been opened on 24 September 2015 on suspicion of criminal mismanagement…and – alternatively – misappropriation,” said a statement from Switzerland’s attorney general’s office.

“There is as suspicion that…Joseph Blatter also violated his fiduciary duties” to FIFA in connection with a contract with the Caribbean Football Union, the statement further said.

Blatter’s offices were searched as part of the criminal probe.

Earlier this summer, Swiss prosecutors said that they were looking into 53 “suspicious” FIFA cases. U.S. authorities have charged 14 people from North and South America accused of involvement in more than $150 million of bribes for football deals.

Blatter, embattled by a corruption scandal that led to the arrest of several of the international football organization’s leaders, including Costa Rica’s Eduardo Li, announced four days after being elected to a fifth term on May 30 that he would resign.

This story is developing. Check ticotimes.net for updates. 

You may be interested

News briefs (or no briefs): The latest news from Costa Rica
Costa Rica
922 views
Costa Rica
922 views

News briefs (or no briefs): The latest news from Costa Rica

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 31, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic has impacted daily life in Costa Rica, which has declared a State of Emergency and enacted sweeping…

Costa Rica up to 330 coronavirus cases, fourth person recovered
Costa Rica
6270 views
Costa Rica
6270 views

Costa Rica up to 330 coronavirus cases, fourth person recovered

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 30, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 330 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Monday afternoon. The figure marks a…

More than 100,000 layoffs as 40% of Costa Rica’s restaurants close
Costa Rica
212 views
Costa Rica
212 views

More than 100,000 layoffs as 40% of Costa Rica’s restaurants close

AFP and The Tico Times - March 30, 2020

Some 100,000 restaurant workers in Costa Rica have lost their jobs after the closure of more than 40% of the…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!