No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsletterPresidency Minister Melvin Jiménez steps down at Solís' request

Presidency Minister Melvin Jiménez steps down at Solís’ request

Heads continue to roll in the administration of Costa Rican President Luis Guillermo Solís. On Thursday morning, Presidency Minister — and Solís’ former presidential campaign manager — Melvin Jiménez Marín submitted his resignation effective immediately.

The resignation, which Solís said was submitted at his request, came after a series of clashes between the now ex minister and opposition parties and economic groups. Jiménez has been blamed for much of the recent negative publicity directed at the already battle-weary government.

“His time in this government has ended,” President Solís said. “He was worn out.”

Jiménez has been the target of severe criticism from various political, business and even religious sectors, who repeatedly questioned his skills as government spokesman and highlighted his unsuccesful attempts to negotiate with these groups.

Solís justified Jiménez’s ouster on “the many things that Don Melvin has had to endure, which he has faced with great stoicism.”

He said that the change at the Presidency Ministry does not alter the road map of his administration in any way. And he thanked Jiménez for his efforts “to achieve social stability and economic progress in the country.”

Jiménez’s most recent controversy came last week when a draft bill to amend the country’s “Radio and Television Law” was released publicly. The bill called for harsh sanctions against TV and radio stations for broadcasting “lies” or offending public morality.

The scandal had already cost Science and Technology Minister Gisela Kopper Arguedas and Vice Minister Allan Ruiz Madrigal their posts. They oversaw the group of experts who drafted the bill.

The situation worsened last Friday when Ruiz said claimed that Jiménez had offered him an ambassador post in exchange for his resignation.

In addition, Kopper blamed Jiménez for leaking the draft of the controversial bill, which Jiménez denies.

Following the resignation announcement, Juan Jiménez Succar, a legislator with the National Liberation Party, the main opposition party, said he wasn’t surprised by the announcement.

“I told the president, in the presence of Minister Jiménez, that we opposed his role as the liaison between the Executive and the Legislative branches,” the legislator said.

Libertarian Movement legislator, and former presidential candidate, Otto Guevara Guth, said “Solís’ decision was overdue.”

Social Christian Unity Party leader Luis Vásquez Castro said Jiménez repeatedly showed lack of leadership in his job.

Jiménez becomes the fourth minister of Solís’ administration to step down and the 15th official to leave during Solís’ 11 months in office.

The new Presidency Minister will be announced Friday at a press conference, Casa Presidencial reported.

Trending Now

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Latin American Players Make Early Push at Cincinnati Open

Latin American players made an immediate impact as the Cincinnati Open main draw began Thursday, with Argentina’s Mariano Navone and Thiago Agustín Tirante advancing...

Panama Canal Cuts Ship Traffic as El Niño Drought Worsens

The Panama Canal will allow fewer ships to pass through the waterway beginning in September as a drought linked to El Niño reduces the...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Costa Rica Highway Project Faces Questions Over Removal of Wildlife Routes

An internal audit at Costa Rica’s National Roadway Council (Conavi) has warned that construction work on the Barranca-Limonal highway disrupted natural overhead routes used...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel