Brazilian Police release Tico accused of allegedly paying a minor for sex
Olger Ulate Ulate, 55, a Costa Rican man arrested in Brazil last week for allegedly having sex with a 16-year-old transvestite prostitute, was released with preventive measures the Costa Rican Foreign Ministry confirmed. Brazilian police did not say when Ulate was released.
Costa Rica’s ambassador in Brazil, Víctor Monge Chacón, said he contacted local Tourist Police, who confirmed Ulate’s release.
The whereabouts of Ulate, who is a member of the ruling Citizen Action Party, are unknown since he left a police station in the city of Natal. But the preventive measures restrict him from leaving the country.
“He was released but the state court prohibited him from leaving the country until the legal process against him is concluded,” Monge said. Ulate’s passport was confiscated and it currently remains in custody at a Civil Police precint.
“A local police chief said he could not disclose the reasons for [Ulate’s] release, and the case is currently protected by judicial secrecy,” the ambassador said.
According to a Foreign Ministry report on Wednesday evening, Ulate has not contacted Costa Rica’s Embassy or consulate.
Ulate, who traveled to Brazil to attend the FIFA World Cup, was arrested on June 18 after being charged with soliciting sex from a minor. If found guilty he could face up to 10 years in prison according to Brazilian laws.
He was taken into custody after he filed a report with local Tourism Police claiming that two prostitutes had stolen his passport, $1,500 in cash and a smartphone from his hotel room.
The minor admitted taking the Tico’s belongings, but claimed Ulate had refused to pay 400 reals ($180) for sexual services. The minor was charged with theft but was released after giving a statement to police.
You may be interested
Unemployment in Costa Rica reaches 24%, the highest in its historyAFP and The Tico Times - August 6, 2020
Unemployment in Costa Rica reached 24% in the April-June quarter, the highest on record, as the country continues to suffer…
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Thursday, August 6Alejandro Zúñiga - August 6, 2020
Costa Rica announced nine new coronavirus-related deaths over the past day for a total of 200, according to official data…
U.S. State Department lifts global travel advisory, but keeps Costa Rica at Level 4AFP and The Tico Times - August 6, 2020
The United States on Thursday lifted a warning to its citizens to avoid all foreign travel due to the coronavirus…