San José zoo administration to file complaint after Costa Rica Environment Ministry inspection
Costa Rica’s public zoo administration, FUNDAZOO, held an impromptu press conference on Tuesday to complain of “unauthorized” and “unannounced” Environment Ministry (MINAE) inspections earlier that morning.
According to Environment Vice Minister Ana Lorena Guevara, the inspection was a routine inventory assessment to prepare for the conversion of the country’s two public zoos into cage-less bio parks in May of next year, terminating the contract with FUNDAZOO. MINAE said they sent notice on Aug. 6 informing FUNDAZOO that officials would be making inspections during the first several weeks of September.
“We arrived there and were surprised to find that the zoo was closed,” Guevara told The Tico Times. “As owners of the property we were allowed to enter and did in order to make the inspections.”
FUNDAZOO’s lawyer, Enrique Rojas, compared MINAE’s entrance to the zoos to a homeowner barging in on the house they were renting out. He also said that MINAE’s “military-style” entrance was illegal according to Article 132 of the Public Administration Law.
Rojas said FUNDAZOO plans to file an official complaint against MINAE, their second court action since the ministry announced it will sever ties with the organization. FUNDAZOO filed a lawsuit against MINAE shortly after being informed that their contract would not be renewed, claiming the contract automatically renews every 10 years.
In 2004, MINAE also said they would not renew their contract with FUNDAZOO, but was forced to continue with the contract for another 10 years after a court ruled on a technicality.
“What is their motive for doing this?” Rojas asked. “What is their problem with FUNDAZOO? They tried to do this before and we won. We will win again.”
You may be interested
News briefs (or no briefs): The latest news from Costa RicaAlejandro Zúñiga - March 31, 2020
The coronavirus pandemic has impacted daily life in Costa Rica, which has declared a State of Emergency and enacted sweeping…
Costa Rica up to 330 coronavirus cases, fourth person recoveredAlejandro Zúñiga - March 30, 2020
Costa Rica has confirmed 330 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Monday afternoon. The figure marks a…
More than 100,000 layoffs as 40% of Costa Rica’s restaurants closeAFP and The Tico Times - March 30, 2020
Some 100,000 restaurant workers in Costa Rica have lost their jobs after the closure of more than 40% of the…