• CURRENT COSTA RICA COVID TOTALS

    Confirmed 184,187, Deaths 2,416, Recovered 141,374

  • CURRENT COSTA RICA COVID TOTALS

    Confirmed 184,187, Deaths 2,416, Recovered 141,374

Costa Rica’s Agriculture and Livestock Ministry uses army of insects to fight pest

July 11, 2013

Costa Rica’s Agriculture and Livestock Ministry (MAG) invested ₡100 million ($200,000) to buy insects that act as biological agents against a pest named Thrips palmi, also known as melon thrips.

The bugs are currently affecting squash, melon, cucumber, watermelon, potatoes, tomatoes and other crops in several areas of the country, although MAG said the situation is “under control.”

To fight the pest, MAG’s State Phytosanitary Service (SFE) acquired 52,000 specimens of two different species of biological controllers: a mite named Amblyseius swirkii and a bedbug known as Oriusinsidiosus.

Some 40 percent of the insects were already released in the country’s southwestern region, and the remaining 60 percent in the northwestern region.

Elizabeth Ramírez, regional operations director for SFE, said that in order to get optimal results with these biological controllers MAG staff also are conducting lectures and awareness campaigns for local producers.

Melon thrips feed by sucking the cell content from leaves, stems, flowers and the surface of fruits, thereby causing silvery scars and leaf chlorosis. Plant growth can be deformed and heavily scarred. A severe infestation can even kill the entire plant.

You may be interested

Costa Rica has administered 25,000 vaccine shots, Caja says
Costa Rica
16144 views
Costa Rica
16144 views

Costa Rica has administered 25,000 vaccine shots, Caja says

The Tico Times - January 15, 2021

Costa Rica’s public-health system has administered nearly 25,000 coronavirus vaccine shots, the Social Security System (Caja) reported. The figure —…

FAQ: The United States’ new Covid travel requirements
Costa Rica
2597 views
Costa Rica
2597 views

FAQ: The United States’ new Covid travel requirements

The Tico Times - January 15, 2021

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has announced that all international airline passengers flying to the United States must show proof…

UK bans South American, Panama arrivals over Brazil virus strain
Central America
1526 views
Central America
1526 views

UK bans South American, Panama arrivals over Brazil virus strain

AFP - January 15, 2021

Britain will ban all arrivals from South America, Panama, Cape Verde and Portugal from 0400 GMT Friday over fears of…