7 smartphone photography tips
The digital revolution has created tools that can help anyone take great photos, even with a mobile phone. Here are some tips for achieving great photos with your smartphone:
1. Get close to your subject. Avoid the digital zoom, as the optical quality is horrible. As a last resort, shoot and then crop the image.
2. Try different angles. If you have the chance to shoot the subject several times, vary the angle and composition. Shoot verticals, horizontals, crouch to get lower angles, climb on chairs or other objects to get higher angles.
3. Keep your lens clean. Your pocket and hands might get the lens grimy. Use soft cloth or a shirt should do the trick.
4. Pick a better camera app than the one your phone provides. I like Camera Awesome, Camera+ and Snap Seed. They offer better options for more controlled shooting. Whichever is your pick, spend a little time getting used to it.
5. Edit your images carefully, don´t over filter them. Retro/washed out Instagramy filters are done by every other smartphone user. Balance color, crop slightly, used brightness/contrast control with moderation. A bad photo won’t improve much by over processing.
6. Be critical of your work. Choose your photos carefully. Don’t bore your Facebook friends to death with 100 photos of the same beach, no matter how gorgeous it was.
7. If your phone has panorama capabilities, try it out, not only horizontally but vertically, too.
Happy shooting and share your photos on our Facebook page!
You may be interested
Despite reports, Costa Rica continues to not be an islandAlejandro Zúñiga - July 23, 2019
Despite recent reports to the contrary, The Tico Times has confirmed that Costa Rica is not an island. This news…
Costa Rican dog attends trial as a victim of animal abuseAFP and The Tico Times - July 23, 2019
Champion, a two-year-old dog, became on Monday the first animal in Latin America to attend the trial of his former…
Flamingo Fishing Rodeo set to begin in one of sportfishing’s best destinationsThe Tico Times - July 23, 2019
Flamingo, Guanacaste, is one of sportfishing’s legendary destinations, an idyllic laid-back beach community located on Costa Rica's northern Pacific coast.…