No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveHistoric Guatemala genocide trial begins Tuesday

Historic Guatemala genocide trial begins Tuesday

GUATEMALA CITY – Former Guatemalan dictator Efraín Ríos Montt is expected to stand trial on Tuesday on genocide charges, despite attempts by defense attorneys to postpone the start of the historic proceedings.

Ríos Montt, 86, is accused of ordering the execution of 1,771 members of the indigenous Ixil Maya community in the Quiché region during his 1982-1983 regime.

The trial marks the first time genocide proceedings have been brought in relation to the 36-year civil war in Guatemala that ended in 1996, leaving an estimated 200,000 people dead, according to United Nations estimates.

The strongman was known for his “scorched earth” campaign against people the government claimed were leftist rebels but were often in fact members of indigenous Mayan communities who were not involved in the conflict.

The proceedings, expected to last several months, will include 130 witnesses and some 100 experts. Retired Gen. José Rodríguez, a former member of the military leadership, is to stand trial along with Ríos Montt.

The former president – who insists he was not aware that the army was committing massacres during his administration – was initially set to stand trial in August, but the date was moved up by five months to March 19.

According to the defense team, the start of oral arguments is on hold while judges consider a defense appeal. Ríos Montt’s lawyer, Francisco Palomo, claimed it was “impossible” to start the trial on Tuesday.

“What will happen is we’ll all gather, but it [the trial] won’t start,” he said.

However, lawyer Hector Reyes, who represents the victims, said court officials indicated on Friday that the trial would begin at 8:30 a.m. local time Tuesday.

Over the course of the proceedings, he said, more than 900 pieces of evidence would be presented, including testimony, forensic reports, videos and speeches.

The trial is seen as historic by human rights groups.

“The prosecution of a general for these heinous crimes 30 years after they happened is testament to the courage and tenacity of victims and humanitarian organizations in Guatemala,” said Reed Brody of Human Rights Watch.

The group will serve as an observer at the kickoff of the proceedings.

Ahead of the trial, Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina, a retired general who was also accused of human rights violations, caused a stir by saying that no genocide was committed during the war.

“I hold the view that there was no genocide in Guatemala, … There was no policy or document or order to slaughter or kill people,” he said last week.

Trending Now

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...

How to watch Serena and Venus Williams play doubles in Costa Rica today

Serena and Venus Williams play doubles at the Cincinnati Open tonight at 5 p.m. Costa Rica time. Here is where to watch it and what to avoid.

Argentina’s Thiago Tirante Turns Cincinnati Run Into Career Breakthrough

Argentina’s Thiago Tirante produced the best Masters 1000 run of his career in Cincinnati, highlighted by a three-set upset of Novak Djokovic.

Costa Rica Documentary Reveals Why Whales From Two Hemispheres Choose Golfo Dulce

Golfo Dulce is the only place on Earth where humpback whales from both hemispheres give birth. A new Costa Rican documentary spent three years filming it.

Panama Canal Cuts Ship Traffic as El Niño Drought Worsens

The Panama Canal will allow fewer ships to pass through the waterway beginning in September as a drought linked to El Niño reduces the...

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Costa Rica Declares a National Emergency in Nine Flood Hit Areas

Costa Rica has declared an emergency in nine areas after days of heavy rain caused flooding, damaged roads and left more than 700 people in shelters
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel