No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveFamily of missing French couple visits Costa Rica

Family of missing French couple visits Costa Rica

From the print edition

Céline Roussel arrived at the residence of the French ambassador Thursday morning to explain to members of the press her story and her one mission in Costa Rica.  

“I want to be able to make my return to France with the bodies of my parents,” Roussel said.

Her parents, Claude and Gerard Dubois, disappeared near the central Pacific beach town of Manuel Antonio on March 31, 2011.

Claude’s brother Alain, the family’s lawyer Nathalie Valade and France Ambassador Fabrice Delloye joined Roussel at a press conference.

The missing couple, both 65 and retired at the time of the incident, vanished after leaving Manuel Antonio in their rented Daihatsu Terios. The car was found on a bridge over the Naranjo River on the highway between Quepos and Dominical (TT, March 19, Jan. 13, 2012, July 4, April 4, 2011). 

The windows of the vehicle had been broken, and the Dubois’ bags were found alongside the river, empty of possessions. Their passports were found 75 kilometers north of their car in a trash can close to the beach town of Jacó. Someone made purchases with a credit card owned by the Dubois several times between the date of their disappearance and April 7.

Costa Rican authorities surmised the incident as a drowning in the aftermath, and said the materials could have been robbed from the car since it was left abandoned on the side of the road for two days. However, a search by the national Coast Guard was unsuccessful. The Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) “are collaborating” with French authorities, Delloye said.

A judicial investigation in France was opened last summer in the city of Meaux “for abduction and kidnapping.”

Roussel and the rest of the group will visit Quepos to follow up on clues, retrace the Dubois’s trip and talk to the OIJ. They also plan to visit Tamarindo, a beach town in the northwestern province of Guanacaste, the last place the couple visited before heading to the central Pacific. 

The ambassador said that French detectives will visit the country in upcoming months to assist in the investigation. But Roussel hopes the family can find some closure during the current visit. 

“I want to explain to my daughter what happened to her grandparents,” Roussel said. “And to do a proper burial for my parents.”

If you have any information about the Dubois, the French Embassy urges calling OIJ in Quepos at 2777-0511.

Trending Now

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel