No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveNational Police destroys obsolete munitions

National Police destroys obsolete munitions

Public Security Ministry experts on Wednesday ended the second phase of the Destruction of Obsolete and Dilapidated Munitions Program with a ceremony in San José, in which an act was signed declaring that the operations were conducted in accordance with international standards.

During this phase, 301,386 munitions of various types and calibers, including more than 9,000 tear gas devices, were destroyed in 107 explosions and five open-air incinerations, according to local sources.

The program was executed by members of the National Police, with training, technical, logistical, financial and certification assistance from the Arms Control and Munitions Destruction program of the Organization of American States (OAS).

The OAS program has supported the efforts of Costa Rica in this matter since March 2011, when an agreement on cooperation and technical assistance was signed by the Public Security Ministry and the OAS General Secretariat.

Since then, the OAS has supported the destruction of more than 900,000 munitions, as well as the destruction of discarded and confiscated weapons.

Trending Now

Is Panama the New Costa Rica? A 2026 Expat & Real Estate Investor Comparison

For decades, Costa Rica was the undisputed poster child of Central American expat life. However, a quiet reshuffling of priorities is underway, and a...

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

Costa Rica’s Water Squeeze Is Changing What Property Buyers Check First

If you are looking to buy land in Costa Rica, the document that will decide your purchase is not the title study. It is...

Lionel Messi Says He May Not Play Much Longer After Father’s Death

Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi said Wednesday that he has “a lot of doubts” about whether he will continue playing football “for much longer,”...

Fonseca and Cerúndolo Drawn Into the Same Cincinnati Quarter

The Cincinnati Open draw placed Fonseca and Cerúndolo in the same quarter, with Sinner and Alcaraz both absent through injury.

The Unexpected Reason Some Travelers May Prefer Costa Rica

My friend Tomas has worked most of his life in one kind of tourism or another. He’s 100 percent Tico but spent many years...

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...

Costa Rica Reopens Immigration Category for 10,000 Rejected Asylum Seekers

Costa Rica's immigration agency expects to regularize about 10,000 people under a special category reopening to applications on September 1.

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel