Guatemala electoral tribunal denies former first lady’s presidential bid

June 30, 2011

Guatemala’s Supreme Elections Tribunal disqualified former First Lady Sandra Torres’  bid for the presidency Wednesday, a lawmaker and supporter said.

Deputy Christian Boussinot said the court notified the parties in the case, which stemmed from a challenge saying Torres’ divorce from Guatemalan President Álvaro Colom was an effort to circumvent legal obstacles to her candidacy.

The Constitution prohibits the spouse and other relatives of the outgoing president to run for the presidency.

Torres said earlier this year she was divorcing despite her love for her husband.

“The love for Guatemala is the reason why the president and I put the interests of the country ahead of our own interests,” the 52-year-old said at the time.

“I am neither the first nor the last woman to divorce in this country, but the first to be divorced for Guatemala.”

The decision to divorce sparked allegations of fraud and a wave of criticism against the outgoing first lady, widely viewed as the power behind the Colom presidency.

Boussinot acknowledged that Colom’s ruling National Unity of Hope party lacked a viable candidate to stand in the September 11 elections.

“We do not have a Plan B,” he said, noting the party’s executive committee planned to appeal the ruling.

Torres and Colom were married for eight years before divorcing earlier this year.

More than seven million Guatemalans are eligible to vote in the September 11 elections. A new president, vice president, 158 deputies, 333 mayors and 20 representatives to the Central American Parliament will all be elected.

Facebook Comments

You may be interested

Pic of the Day: Costa Rica’s Isla Nublar (aka Cocos Island)
Pic of the Day
65 views
Pic of the Day
65 views

Pic of the Day: Costa Rica’s Isla Nublar (aka Cocos Island)

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 18, 2019

Isla Nublar, the setting for much of the "Jurassic Park" series, is unfortunately not a real Costa Rican island. Cocos…

Costa Rica holds Maduro regime responsible for diplomat’s safety
Costa Rica
11 views
Costa Rica
11 views

Costa Rica holds Maduro regime responsible for diplomat’s safety

AFP and The Tico Times - April 18, 2019

The Costa Rican Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday that it places responsibility with the Venezuelan government of Nicolás Maduro for…

Venezuela withdraws diplomatic credential from Costa Rican diplomat
Latin America
25 views
Latin America
25 views

Venezuela withdraws diplomatic credential from Costa Rican diplomat

AFP and The Tico Times - April 17, 2019

Venezuela withdrew the diplomatic credential from the Costa Rican chargé d'affaires on Tuesday in retaliation for the country’s acceptance of…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!