The Alcatel Settlement in the U.S. has nothing to do with President Rodríguez
In the story titled “Alcatel Settles Bribe Case” in the Jan. 7 edition of The Tico Times, we reported that former Costa Rican President Rafael Angel Calderón accepted bribes from the French telecommunications company Alcatel-Lucent. However, in 2009 Calderón was convicted of accepting funds from the Finnish medical equipment supplier Instrumentarium Medko Medical Corp., of the Fischel Corp, not Alcatel. His lawyers are appealing that conviction and a final ruling is pending. Calderón was never implicated in the Alcatel case.
The story also said that former President Miguel Ángel Rodríguez admitted to receiving funds from Alcatel, which is inaccurate. Rodríguez is currently facing trial for accusations that he accepted funds from Alcatel, but has never admitted doing so. He denies the charges.
Also, formal charges were never brought against former President José María Figueres regarding the Alcatel case.
And finally, while former President Abel Pacheco admitted that his 2002 presidential campaign did receive funds from Alcatel, Pacheco said he never personally received the funds (see related story).
The Tico Times regrets the errors.
You may be interested
Costa Rica allows reopening process for public parks and recreational facilitiesAlejandro Zúñiga - October 27, 2020
Costa Rica will allow for the gradual reopening of public parks and certain recreational facilities, the Health Ministry and National…
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Tuesday, October 27Alejandro Zúñiga - October 27, 2020
Costa Rica announced 17 new coronavirus-related deaths over the last day for a total of 1,329, according to official data…
Clarifying the isolation requirement for Costa Rican citizensAlejandro Zúñiga - October 27, 2020
Last week, the Costa Rica Tourism Board announced that, as of October 26, citizens would no longer need to quarantine…