No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveOAS Secretary General Meets with Chinchilla, Foreign Ministry Over Border Dispute

OAS Secretary General Meets with Chinchilla, Foreign Ministry Over Border Dispute

During a quick 14-hour visit to San José, José Miguel Insulza, Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS), met with Costa Rican President Laura Chinchilla and Foreign Minister René Castro to discuss the ongoing border dispute between Costa Rica and Nicaragua along the Río San Juan. At the conclusion of the two meetings on Saturday morning, Insulza said that the goal of the OAS is to resolve the matter, which centers on the occupation of Isla Calero by the Nicaraguan military, as quickly and peacefully as possible. The island is located at the mouth of the Río San Juán, which forms the eastern portion of the border between the two countries.

“I have been given a very clear picture of the position of Costa Rica regarding the problem that exists with Nicaragua, including its point of view about the disputed land, the situation on the banks of the Río San Juan and its demand that Nicaragua remove its forces from the area,” Insulza said. “My obligation is to assure that this situation is resolved in a peaceful manner.”   

 Chinchilla said that during the meetings  Insulza and the members of the OAS mission were presented with evidence of Nicaragua’s “flagrant violation” of Costa Rican sovereignty, including a detailed map of the area in question. She also mentioned several times that Costa Rica hoped for a prompt, peaceful and fair resolution to the conflict.

“We are particularly pleased with the progress made in the meeting today and feel this is the first step to a peaceful end to this situation,” Chinchilla said. “This is a national priority and we hope to have it resolved as soon as possible.”

On Saturday afternoon, Insulza is scheduled to meet with Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega. Insulza said he would return to Costa Rica after meeting with Ortega if that would help resolve the conflict, and may visit the area in question, including Isla Calero. A previously scheduled meeting of the Binational Commission of the two countries is set for Nov. 27, which could also serve as a forum for resolving the dispute.   

On Thursday, around 15 Nicaraguan soldiers were seen at a makeshift base on Isla Calero, which is on the south side of the Río San Juan.  Edén Pastora, the Nicaraguan revolutionary war hero who is responsible for the dredging of the river, claims that the 1858 Cañas-Jeréz Treaty indicates that the Isla Calero is in Nicaraguan territory.

Trending Now

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Costa Rica Flooding Forces 500 Into Shelters as Pacific Side Runs Dry

Two tropical waves in three days left the Caribbean and Northern Zone saturated while the Pacific sits in its driest stretch of the year. Here is what the next four weeks look like.

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Gota a Gota Loans in Costa Rica — Warning Signs

If someone offers you cash the same day with no paperwork, no credit check and no questions about your income, understand what you are...

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel