No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveFabio Gadea Holds First Campaign Rally in Nicaragua

Fabio Gadea Holds First Campaign Rally in Nicaragua

MANAGUA – Presidential hopeful Fabio Gadea, the 79-year-old radio personality who many hope will be the “consensus candidate” unifying the majority opposition against President Daniel Ortega and his Sandinista Party in 2011, held his first public rally Sunday in the Pacific port town of Corinto, where hundreds of supporters poured into the streets in a show of support.

Gadea, a former southern front contra who lived in exile in Costa Rica for eight years during the first Sandinista revolution, told the crowd that the only thing he is promising them as candidate for president is “a revolution of honesty.”

“Some of you will say, ‘What is this man doing coming to Corinto? Is he going to be a candidate who offers everything and delivers nothing?’ No, I am not going to make promises. I come here to offer you a dream that you can achieve. I am here to offer you something that will change the face of the Nicaraguan nation. I come here to offer you something that no other candidate will offer you: honesty,” Gadea told the crowd, according to a press release.

Gadea and the crowd

Hundreds of people turn out to support Fabio Gadea Sunday in Corinto. Photo courtesy of MVE.

Gadea, who is perhaps best known in Nicaragua for his folksy radio personality “Pancho Madrigal,” as well as his “Love Letters to Nicaragua,” which he began during his days in exile, has become the elderly “new face” of Nicaragua’s political scene.

In an interview last month with The Nica Times, Gadea said he plans to travel around the country, but said it wouldn’t be a typical Nicaraguan campaign with large public rallies and T-shirt giveaways – a traditional campaign stunt that he calls “stupid.”

“I’ve always traveled around the country to do my radio program. And the people around the country know me more than any of the other candidates. They know the other candidates because they offered (the people) promises and gifts, but they know me because they’ve always listened to me on the radio for 50 years,” Gadea told The Nica Times. “That’s because they love me, and not because I am going to give them a campaign hat.”

Gadea’s candidacy was proposed last August by former presidential hopeful Eduardo Montealegre, who is viewed by some as the kingmaker pulling the strings behind the scenes. Gadea’s candidacy presents a frontal challenge to Liberal Constitutional Party boss and former President Arnoldo Alemán, who is calling on the upstart candidate to square off against him in an inter-party primary election to decide which of the two men should be the true “consensus candidate.”  

Gadea, however, has refused the offer. And although his candidacy has already been endorsed by minority parties on the right and left, some have raised questions about Gadea’s qualifications and wonder if he’s really the best candidate to reform the country’s conservative and intolerant political culture (NT, Editorial, Sept. 24).

Trending Now

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.

Costa Rica Flooding Forces 500 Into Shelters as Pacific Side Runs Dry

Two tropical waves in three days left the Caribbean and Northern Zone saturated while the Pacific sits in its driest stretch of the year. Here is what the next four weeks look like.

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel