Gov’t Targets NGOs, Civil Leaders Denounce Persecution
Leaders of nongovernmental organizations and human-rights movements are uniting their voices in protest against an aggressive new campaign by the Ortega administration to persecute civil society groups that have dared to criticize the government or the direction of the country.
First Lady Rosario Murillo last week launched a brazenly aggressive government campaign called Operation No More Lies, aimed at discrediting civil society by calling nongovernment organizations modern day Trojan Horses that mask an international campaign against the revolutionary government of President Daniel Ortega.
The campaign, launched under the guise of investigative journalism in the administration s new weekly bulletin El 19, accuses the Autonomous Women s Movement (MAM), the Center of Investigations for Communication (CINCO), international group OXFAM and a network of other Nicaraguan human-rights and democracy groups of being part of an international conspiracy against the government.
According to the administration, right-wing international groups, such as OXFAM, are supporting a triangulation of slander by sending money to women s groups via CINCO, a nongovernmental group head by journalist Carlos Fernando Chamorro. The women s groups, according to the administration, then use the veil of feminism to attack and slander the government.
Sandinista media outlets, infamous for playing the role of judge and jury, jumped on the story and accused Chamorro and feminist leader Sofia Montenegro of money laundering.
The Ministry of the Government (MINGOB) apparently interpreted the Sept. 2 report in El 19 as an official presidential order and quickly announced it was opening an investigation of MAM, CINCO and OXFAM, among other groups that have criticized the government. Gustavo Sireas, head of MINGOB s registry of nongovernmental organizations accredited in Nicaragua, said the government s efforts were to make sure that the registry is in order and denied it was part of a government crackdown on political enemies.
But for those in the government s crosshairs, that explanation is unconvincing. This is an attempt to intimidate not only us but all other nongovernmental organizations, Ana Quirós, a leader of the Autonomous Women s Movement, told The Nica Times.
For Quirós, the government campaign is part of a political revenge against the feminist movement for supporting Murillo s daughter, Zoilamérica Narváez, in her 1998 sexual abuse case against Ortega.
This definitely has to do with the Zoilamérica case, which has become internationally relevant again, Quirós said, referring to recent protests by feminist leaders in other countries who have called Ortega a rapist.
The ghosts from the past have returned; this is a nightmare for them because they weren t able to clean their judicial situation or their image in the public opinion.
Quirós added that Autonomous Women s Movement a social movement, not a registered NGO is studying the possibility of taking the case before the International Commission against Torture, on the argument that the government s campaign is one of psychological torture and terrorism.
She said that if anything happens to Montenegro or any other of the leaders of the women s movement, it will be the exclusive responsibility of this government.
We can t forget what happened to Carlos Guadamuz, who was assassinated on the street, Quirós said of the anti-Ortega journalist who was gunned down in broad daylight by a Sandinista assassin in 2004.
Chamorro, speaking on his weekly television news show, Esta Semana, called the government campaign a dangerous escalation of persecution of civil society groups and a violation of citizens rights to organize and participate in society.
Chamorro said his organization has always followed the law, and mocked the so-called investigative journalism by the government newspaper, saying all the information they reported was taken from the organization s Web page and other sources in the public domain.
The same Sandinista media outlets in 2006 accused Chamorro without any basis or formal charges of drug trafficking, after he ran an investigative report linking Sandinista officials to a land extortion case in Tola.
Chamorro has called the government s newest campaign cowardly and has called on others to stand up to the Ortega administration s fear tactics.
Sooner or later you will have to define a position, Chamorro said in a message directed at other Sandinistas, who he says have secretly called him to profess their solidarity.
This campaign will not stop with us.
You may be interested
Costa Rica coronavirus data for July 9, 2020Alejandro Zúñiga - July 9, 2020
Costa Rica confirmed 649 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 6,485 cumulative known cases, the Health…
Costa Rica previews new tower at Calderón Guardia HospitalAlejandro Zúñiga - July 9, 2020
Costa Rican authorities on Thursday previewed a new tower at Calderón Guardia Hospital in San José, which could be used…
News briefs: Costa Rica will handle land borders differently than airportsAlejandro Zúñiga - July 9, 2020
The coronavirus crisis has transformed life in Costa Rica, which has enacted measures to protect the capacity of its health…