No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveAfter 30-Year Delay Caldera Project Starts

After 30-Year Delay Caldera Project Starts

The money’s in, the equipment is onsite, and the government has handed out the concession.

It’s been a 30-year wait, but the long-delayed Caldera highway that would connect San José in a nearly straight shot to the Pacific Ocean may finally be on its way.

Luis Diego Vargas, vice minister of the National Concessions Council, told daily La Nación that construction started on Wednesday.

With a $230 million loan from the Central American Bank for Economic Integration in pocket, concessionaire Autopistas del Sol has 30 months to complete the 77-kilometer highway.

With a 30-year wait to get to this point, however, Vargas warned that other hangups could still lie ahead.

“Every project can experience unforeseen weather, or economic (complications), like an extreme increase in materials costs,” he said.

“But the political and economic outlooks say that the plan will go ahead without delays.”

 

Popular Articles

Costa Rica Benefits as Airbnb Delivers $5M+ in Tax Contributions

The Airbnb platform delivered a new update on the tax contributions it has made in Costa Rica, which amount to more than $5 million...

30 Years in Costa Rica and Heading to a High School Reunion

I am planning on attending my high school reunion this year, which means I will be seeing people I haven't seen in decades, and...

Costa Rica’s Medical Marijuana Rollout: Legal Relief or Just a Loophole?

Last month, the Costa Rican Ministry of Health approved a regulation to facilitate the sale of “medical cannabis products” aka weed, ganja, grass, mota,...
Avatar
spot_img
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait

Latest Articles