• Costa Rica Real Estate
  • Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Platini deal was ‘gentleman’s agreement’ – FIFA’s Blatter

October 16, 2015
LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter claimed on Friday that the $2 million payment he made to UEFA president Michel Platini was a “gentleman’s agreement.”

“It was a contract I had with Platini, a gentleman’s agreement,” the 79-year-old said in an interview with Swiss media RROTV.

“It was implemented. I can’t give any more details, the issue is being discussed in two investigations.”

Asked directly if the contract had been made within the rules, Blatter added: “Yes, certainly, it was within the rules.”

Blatter and Platini, 60, have both been suspended for 90 days by FIFA’s ethics committee as Swiss authorities conduct a criminal investigation into corruption allegations at the scandal-tainted world football governing body.

Blatter defiantly backed his right to discuss the ongoing controversy and investigation.

“I don’t have the right to go to a football stadium, but I do have the right to talk to whoever I want,” he added.

“I am not sidelined, I am only suspended.”

Recommended: 4 reasons why FIFA’s Sepp Blatter must step down immediately

Blatter, who has been in charge of FIFA since 1998, still intends to be present when the FIFA congress meets on February 26 to elect a new president.

“My goal is to preside over the congress, that is my objective. I don’t believe it will be postponed.”

Blatter also blasted the international media for “pre-judging” him, saying his suspension had been a “shock.”

He added he was baffled by the decision to bar him from his office.

“I have not stolen, I haven’t killed, I haven’t favored anybody!”

The suspension, he said, had given him “time to think” and that he was “doing fine, even if it is a difficult period.”

See also: Switzerland approves extradition to US of Costa Rican FIFA official Eduardo Li

You may be interested

Costa Rica now considers access to water as a constitutional right
Costa Rica
4 views
Costa Rica
4 views

Costa Rica now considers access to water as a constitutional right

AFP and The Tico Times - June 5, 2020

Costa Rica on Friday adopted a constitutional reform that guarantees access to water as a "human, basic and inalienable" right.…

Costa Rica adds 34 coronavirus cases, 8 recoveries
Costa Rica
20342 views
Costa Rica
20342 views

Costa Rica adds 34 coronavirus cases, 8 recoveries

Alejandro Zúñiga - June 5, 2020

Costa Rica confirmed 34 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 1,228 cumulative known cases, the Health…

Brazil virus toll surges to third-highest in world
Costa Rica
20230 views
Costa Rica
20230 views

Brazil virus toll surges to third-highest in world

Joshua Berger / AFP - June 5, 2020

Brazil's death toll from the new coronavirus surpassed Italy's to become the third-highest in the world, as Europe emerged from…