No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveGuatemalans Demand Arrest of Ríos Montt

Guatemalans Demand Arrest of Ríos Montt

GUATEMALA CITY – Some 100 family members of victims of Guatemala’s 1960-1996 civil war are demanding that police take into custody former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt, following last week’s celebrated arrests of two Guatemalan military officers sought by Spain’s

National Court

for crimes against humanity.

Shouting “We demand justice,” the activists rallied peacefully outside the Supreme Court building in Guatemala City Nov. 8 and demanded the arrest of Ríos Montt, who ruled the country as a dictator for 18 months in 1982-83, after taking power through a coup.

The former dictator, who launched scorched-earth tactics against indigenous communities he thought were his enemies, is blamed for some of the worst atrocities of the civil war.

Acting on a request by the

National Court

in Madrid, a Guatemala City judge ordered that four former military officers and two civilians be detained Nov. 6, but no arrest warrant was issued for the 80-year-old Ríos Montt.

In 1999, Guatemalan indigenous leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Rigoberta Menchú asked the tribunal in Spain to prosecute eight former officials and retired military officers for torture, mass murder and state terrorism during Guatemala’s war.

More than 200,000 people died in the civil war, the vast majority of them indigenous campesinos.

One of the eight accused by Menchú, former President Fernando Lucas, died earlier this year in Venezuela.

Menchú turned to the Spanish court after denouncing the denial of justice in her native country. Spain is one of several countries whose courts claim jurisdiction over crimes against humanity committed anywhere.

The court requested the arrest, for extradition purposes, of Gens. Oscar Mejía, Anibal Guevara and Benedicto Lucas, Col. German Chupina and civilians Pedro García Arredondo and Donaldo Alvarez, all accused in connection with a Jan. 31, 1980, assault on the Spanish Embassy that left 37 dead, including three Spaniards.

Guevara and Chupina are the only two who have been arrested thus far. Ríos Montt, according to Guatemalan Judge Morelia, cannot be arrested for the embassy incident because he was not holding public office at the time the attack occurred.

Se Busca Por Genocidio” (Wanted for Genocide) could be seen on a big sign in reference to Ríos Montt outside the Supreme Court building, where protesters also placed 20 photographs of victims of the armed conflict.

The victims’ relatives said they are pleased that the two former military officers had been detained, adding that “this is a first  step” in ensuring accountability for thecrimes of Guatemala’s security forces and paramilitary allies.

For her part, the head of the Relatives of the Detained-Disappeared of Guatemala, Aura Elena Farfan, said: “We feel satisfied because the pursuit of justice has not been in vain.”

Farfan’s brother, Ruben Amilcar, was kidnapped in March 1984 during the regime of Oscar Mejía. He was never seen again.

Farfan added: “A small opening has been created to take these men who massacred and ‘disappeared’ our people where they belong.”

 

Trending Now

Guanacaste Airport Outpaces Costa Rica’s Main Airport

Costa Rica welcomed more than 2 million international tourists during the first seven months of 2026, but the clearest sign of change was not...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Costa Rica Bets on Dental Tourism to Draw Higher Spending Visitors

Five dental clinic groups received a new certification this month aimed squarely at foreign patients, the clearest signal yet that Costa Rica intends to...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

China’s Xi Warns Against Outside Interference in Latin America

Chinese President Xi Jinping defended Latin America’s “independence and self-reliance” during talks with Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa, arguing that countries in the region should...

Costa Rica Highway Project Faces Questions Over Removal of Wildlife Routes

An internal audit at Costa Rica’s National Roadway Council (Conavi) has warned that construction work on the Barranca-Limonal highway disrupted natural overhead routes used...

Costa Rica Closes Turrialba Volcano and Guayabo Monument Due to Heavy Rains

Two popular to visit in the Turrialba area have closed temporarily as continued rainfall and saturated ground raise the risk of landslides and other...

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

Latin American Players Make Early Push at Cincinnati Open

Latin American players made an immediate impact as the Cincinnati Open main draw began Thursday, with Argentina’s Mariano Navone and Thiago Agustín Tirante advancing...
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel