No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeCanadian Drug Kingpin Nabbed in Costa Rica After Two-Year Manhunt

Canadian Drug Kingpin Nabbed in Costa Rica After Two-Year Manhunt

Costa Rican authorities arrested a Canadian man accused of leading a large-scale drug and weapons operation in British Columbia. Jesse Michael Valentino Bou-Saleh, 35, had evaded capture for over two years before his detention in this coastal town. The Judicial Investigation Agency (OIJ), working with Interpol, took Bou-Saleh into custody on January 22 after months of tracking his movements.

He lived in a residence here with his partner and children, blending into the local community while wanted by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). During the raid, officers seized cash, bulletproof vests, six firearms, and records of drug transactions from the property. No drugs turned up in the search. Bou-Saleh’s wife, Katarina Bou-Saleh, now faces scrutiny as part of the ongoing probe.

Canadian officials label Bou-Saleh as the head of a gang rooted in Lake Country, in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley. The RCMP tied him to a 2023 operation that marked their biggest seizure ever: nearly 20 kilograms of drugs like fentanyl, cocaine, MDMA, and methamphetamine, plus $58,000 in cash, 45 firearms, bulletproof gear, and tools for making drugs.

Raids hit his network in Vernon that March, leading to five arrests. Bou-Saleh slipped away and crossed borders, landing in Costa Rica. Charges against him and others surfaced in Vernon Provincial Court in February 2025.

Links emerged between Bou-Saleh and Nabil Mahmoud Abdel-Kader, another Canadian trafficker. Abdel-Kader gained notoriety last year when a judge tossed out drug charges against him. Police had discovered $200,000 in methamphetamine and cocaine hidden in his Jeep, but the court ruled the search broke his rights.

That case stemmed from a 2020 hit-and-run where a cyclist suffered an assault by people connected to Abdel-Kader. Video evidence pointed to his vehicle, but judges found law enforcement sidestepped rules during the seizure, freeing him. Some called Abdel-Kader “untouchable” due to these repeated legal wins.

Bou-Saleh’s capture signals progress in breaking up a group with ties across North and Central America. Extradition steps have started, with him held in Costa Rica pending transfer to Canada. This arrest highlights Costa Rica’s role in international efforts against organized crime. Local police often partner with foreign agencies to target fugitives who seek refuge in the country’s beaches and towns.

Officials say operations like this disrupt supply chains feeding dangerous substances into communities. The RCMP praised the collaboration, noting it weakens networks that fuel addiction and violence. As proceedings unfold, Bou-Saleh remains in detention. His case underscores the reach of cross-border policing and the challenges of pursuing high-level suspects.

Trending Now

Rodrigo Chaves Stays at Center of Power as Costa Rica Enters Fernández Era

Costa Rica’s transfer of power on Friday is bringing a new president but not a clean break from the leader who dominated the last...

Costa Rican Angler Erika Sandi Makes History at the Offshore World Championship

Erika Sandi put Costa Rica in the spotlight after an outstanding performance at the Offshore World Championship, where she secured both the Top Lady...

Trump Says He Would Not Pay $1,000 for U.S. World Cup Opener

President Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that he would not pay the $1,000-plus ticket price for the United States' first World...

Sinner Demands Grand Slam Respect as Prize Money Fight Grows

Jannik Sinner called on Thursday for Grand Slam tournaments to show tennis players respect in a row over prize money, as Novak Djokovic pledged...

Costa Rica Researchers Convert Waste Into Food

Costa Rican researchers are turning to fungi as a possible answer to one of our country’s most urgent environmental problems: what to do with...

Keylor Navas Helps Pumas Hold América in Wild Liga MX Playoff Opener

Keylor Navas and Pumas left the former Estadio Azteca with the Liga MX quarterfinal series still alive after a wild 3-3 draw against América...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel