No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsUS Israel Iran War Spreads as Hezbollah Enters Fighting and UK Base...

US Israel Iran War Spreads as Hezbollah Enters Fighting and UK Base in Cyprus Hit

The war launched by the United States and Israel against Iran spread across the Middle East and beyond on Monday with Lebanon’s Hezbollah entering the fray and a British air base in Cyprus targeted. The Israeli military said it began a new “broad strike” on Tehran, as reporters in the Iranian capital heard explosions ring out on the third day of the US-Israeli joint assault.

Gulf monarchies threatened to retaliate as a Saudi oil refinery burned, Qatar halted LNG production, tankers were attacked off Oman and energy prices soared. Meanwhile, black smoke rose from the US embassy complex in Kuwait as Iran pressed on with attacks it launched in retaliation for the US and Israeli campaign that killed its supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Greek frigates

An Iranian drone hit the runway of a UK air force base in Akrotiri in Cyprus, whose government announced that the airport in its town of Paphos and the area around the British facility would be evacuated. A Cypriot government spokesman said two more drones targeting the base were “dealt with in a timely manner” and Greece announced it was deploying frigates and jets to help protect Cyprus, a fellow EU member. 

Israel and the US have been striking targets across Iran since Saturday. The war that began with Khamenei’s killing has engulfed the region, with explosions ringing out in Dubai, Bahrain, Iraq and elsewhere. Flights through the region’s hub airports have been cancelled, disrupting international travel for many thousands of people.

In Lebanon, the strikes have triggered a new round of violence between Israel and Hezbollah, with the Iran-backed group firing rockets and its enemy responding with bombing. Israeli’s Defense Minister Israel Katz predicted that Hezbollah’s leader would perish, as the army issued a warning for Lebanese civilians to evacuate areas of south Beirut. 

“We will strike Hezbollah hard, and Naim Qassem, chairman of the Hezbollah terrorist organization, will discover that whoever follows Khamenei’s path ends up like Khamenei — at the bottom of hell,” he said. As Lebanon, which had vowed to disarm Hezbollah, was dragged into the war, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam announced, “the immediate ban of all Hezbollah security and military activities and considering them illegal”.

Explosions rocked Beirut while, in southern Lebanon residents fled, according to journalists, after the Israeli military announced it was striking several parts of the country. In the southern city of Sidon, cars of families fled on packed roads with mattresses tied to their roofs. 

US jets downed by friendly fire

The Israeli military said it had struck a senior Hezbollah operative in Beirut, while Lebanese authorities said Israeli strikes killed at least 31 people. In Kuwait, a US base and a power station were targeted, while three US F-15e Strike Eagle jets were downed by friendly fire. The pilots and gunners survived.

“During active combat — that included attacks from Iranian aircraft, ballistic missiles, and drones — the US Air Force fighter jets were mistakenly shot down by Kuwaiti air defenses,” CENTCOM said. Fresh explosions were heard across Doha, Dubai and Manama on Monday morning, AFP correspondents reported.

In the Strait of Hormuz, a waterway that is key to global oil transit, three ships were attacked on Sunday after Iran had previously warned vessels against crossing. Such is the speed of the war’s expansion that there is no sign of any containment. AFP has not been able to verify the death tolls provided by Iranian sources.

President Donald Trump vowed to avenge the first US service members’ deaths, telling the New York Times that the United States and Israel could keep up the same level of attacks for four to five weeks. “It won’t be difficult. We have tremendous amounts of ammunition,” he said, adding he had a shortlist of three unnamed people he favored to lead Iran after the war.

“Sadly, there will likely be more before it ends,” Trump said after the deaths of three service members. “But America will avenge their deaths and deliver the most punishing blow to the terrorists who have waged war against, basically, civilisation.”

Sworn foe

Ali Larijani, the powerful head of the Supreme National Security Council, voiced defiance, vowing that Iran would defend itself whatever the cost. “We will fiercely defend ourselves and our six thousand years old civilization regardless of the costs and will make the enemies sorry for their miscalculation,” Larijani wrote.

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have urged Iranians to overthrow the government in Iran, the sworn foe of Israel and the United States since the 1979 Islamic revolution toppled the pro-Western shah. Israel and the United States attacked Iran weeks after authorities crushed mass protests, killing thousands according to rights groups.

According to the Netblocks monitor, the internet has been down in Iran for more than 48 hours now. Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian, whose elected role is subordinate to that of the supreme leader, called Khamenei’s killing a “declaration of war against Muslims”.

World leaders have given a mixed reaction to the war, which began two days after Iran and the United States held talks on Tehran’s nuclear program.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

Costa Rica Lawmakers Challenge Sweeping State-Secrecy Order

Opposition lawmakers asked Costa Rica’s Constitutional Chamber today to immediately suspend a decree that places broad categories of government security information, including budgets and...

Argentine Thiago Tirante Extends Dream Cincinnati Run Into Quarterfinals

Thiago Agustín Tirante’s breakthrough week at the Cincinnati Open continued Wednesday as the Argentine rallied past Jakub Mensik to reach the first ATP Masters...

Costa Rica Bets on Dental Tourism to Draw Higher Spending Visitors

Five dental clinic groups received a new certification this month aimed squarely at foreign patients, the clearest signal yet that Costa Rica intends to...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel