Communities to commemorate World Oceans Day with cleanups, events
Communities across Costa Rica will commemorate Saturday’s World Oceans Day with cleanups and similar events.
The efforts aim to remind participants about the importance of the oceans and to make an impact — however small — in protecting Costa Rica’s 800 miles of shoreline.
World Oceans Day, held annually on June 8, offers “a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve our world’s shared ocean,” according to its website. Last year, Costa Rica was the worldwide host of the celebration.
In addition to their tourism appeal, oceans generate oxygen, provide food and regulate the climate, among many other benefits.
Below is a compilation of events we’ve found. We’re sure there are more, so if you know of others, let us know at email@example.com.
- The Jade Museum and Misión Tiburón are hosting a discussion in San José on June 5 at 6 p.m. More info here.
- Marina Pez Vela and FECOP invite the public to a beach cleanup in Quepos. Contact Marina Pez Vela for more information at: 2774-9000.
- Conservación Osa and Lapathon 2019 will offer cultural events, games and talks at the Puerto Jimenez soccer field. More info here.
- The Municipality of San Ramon is hosting road cleanups in conjunction with SINAC and MINAE. More info here.
- Melania Guerra — “La Tica Polar,” whom we featured in January — will share ocean-themed content and giveaways on her Facebook page.
- The Cartago amphitheater will host “Nuestro Planeta,” a free concert, on June 7. More info here.
You may be interested
Experts urge action to reduce inequalities of black Latin American populationAFP and The Tico Times - October 15, 2019
Latin American authorities and specialists urged Tuesday in Costa Rica for countries to adopt strategies to eliminate the inequalities that…
Watch: Police chase interrupts video crew filming in San JoséAlejandro Zúñiga - October 15, 2019
A video shot at Costa Rica's Parque de la Democracia in San José has gone viral. If you haven't watched…
What’s the difference between a green alert and a yellow alert in Costa Rica?Alejandro Zúñiga - October 15, 2019
The National Emergency Commission (CNE) in Costa Rica frequently issues green and yellow alerts for parts or all of the…