Communities to commemorate World Oceans Day with cleanups, events
Communities across Costa Rica will commemorate Saturday’s World Oceans Day with cleanups and similar events.
The efforts aim to remind participants about the importance of the oceans and to make an impact — however small — in protecting Costa Rica’s 800 miles of shoreline.
World Oceans Day, held annually on June 8, offers “a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve our world’s shared ocean,” according to its website. Last year, Costa Rica was the worldwide host of the celebration.
In addition to their tourism appeal, oceans generate oxygen, provide food and regulate the climate, among many other benefits.
Below is a compilation of events we’ve found. We’re sure there are more, so if you know of others, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Jade Museum and Misión Tiburón are hosting a discussion in San José on June 5 at 6 p.m. More info here.
- Marina Pez Vela and FECOP invite the public to a beach cleanup in Quepos. Contact Marina Pez Vela for more information at: 2774-9000.
- Conservación Osa and Lapathon 2019 will offer cultural events, games and talks at the Puerto Jimenez soccer field. More info here.
- The Municipality of San Ramon is hosting road cleanups in conjunction with SINAC and MINAE. More info here.
- Melania Guerra — “La Tica Polar,” whom we featured in January — will share ocean-themed content and giveaways on her Facebook page.
- The Cartago amphitheater will host “Nuestro Planeta,” a free concert, on June 7. More info here.
You may be interested
PHOTOS: The 2019 Festival de la Luz in San JoséNate Doughty - December 15, 2019
The holiday season was in full swing Saturday night during the Festival de la Luz in San José, where thousands…
Slothy Sunday: Oatmeal, a story of hopeAlly Chamberlin / Toucan Rescue Ranch - December 15, 2019
Meet Oatmeal. Oatmeal is a four-month-old, two-fingered sloth that was brought to Toucan Rescue Ranch as a young orphan. We…
Pic of the Day: Stunning views on the road to MonteverdeThe Tico Times - December 14, 2019
The drive to Monteverde isn't an easy one, so it's best to have some patience and let yourself enjoy the…