No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaNational Police: Property crime down in Limón from last year

National Police: Property crime down in Limón from last year

The number of property crimes in the Caribbean province of Limón fell during the first six months of this year compared to figures from 2016, the National Police confirmed this week.

The report comes from the police’s Analysis and Statistics Department and also includes data from the Judicial Investigation Police.

The inform states that police received a total of 2,512 complaints for property crimes. The figure represents a 13.6 percent drop, or 394 complaints fewer than those recorded in the same period of 2016.

Property crimes in the report include complaints for robbery, home robbery, burglary, vehicle theft, auto burglary, and theft of livestock.

Crimes by type

Burglary is the crime that saw the largest decrease in the inter-annual comparison. Police agencies received a total of 220 complaints in the past six months, representing 57 more — or 20.5 percent — less than in the same period last year.

Armed robbery fell 13.7 percent. Police recorded 327 complaints this year, and 379 in 2016.

Figures of vehicle theft in the Caribbean province also went down from 151 in the first half of 2016 to 115 this year, a 23.8 percent drop.

The report noted that crimes against property also declined slightly across the country. Between January and June 2016, police precincts in all seven provinces received a total of 28,310 complaints for property crimes. The figure for the same months this year fell to 27,812.

That represents 498 complaints less across the country, or a decline of 1.8 percent.

Boost in security

Government efforts to bolster security in Limón followed a shootout on a Caribbean beach that left five people dead on Oct. 2, 2016. Top Public Security Ministry officials met in the province on Oct. 5 and pledged to enforce a plan to curb the wave of violence in the region.

As a first action, National Police Director Juan José Andrade sent 400 additional police officers to conduct patrols at the province’s most conflict-ridden neighborhoods.

Public Security Minister Gustavo Mata promised at the time that extra police surveillance would continue in the province until they manage to control the situation.

Trending Now

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Costa Rica Study Examines How Water-Resistant Sunscreen Affects Body Heat

Some water-resistant sunscreens may slightly reduce the body’s ability to cool itself during prolonged exercise in hot conditions, according to research conducted at the...

Costa Rica Free-Zone Growth Slows to Weakest Pace Since 2020

Growth in Costa Rica’s free-zone economy slowed sharply in June, falling to its weakest pace since 2020 and extending a year-long deceleration in one...

How to watch Serena and Venus Williams play doubles in Costa Rica today

Serena and Venus Williams play doubles at the Cincinnati Open tonight at 5 p.m. Costa Rica time. Here is where to watch it and what to avoid.

Nurses Strike at Hospital México After Staffing Talks Collapse

More than 180 nurses walked out at one of Costa Rica's three national referral hospitals after talks with the CCSS ended without agreement.
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel