No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessCosta Rican Electricity Institute rules out blackouts in coming months

Costa Rican Electricity Institute rules out blackouts in coming months

Although the National Meteorological Institute (IMN) confirmed a drop in rainfall levels for the current rainy season, the Costa Rica Electricity Institute (ICE) has ruled out power outages later this year.

A lack of rainfall this season, which runs from May to November, is evident in most of the country. But ICE electricity manager Luis Pacheco said current reservoir levels remain stable and expected rainfall will be enough to keep the reserves filled for use in hydroelectric power generation for the rest of the year.

Costa Rica uses up to 800 megawatt-hours daily, and of that amount, 80 percent is generated from renewable sources, such as hydroelectric and eolic (as of December 2012). The remaining 20 percent is generated by using hydrocarbon-powered plants, according to an ICE report published in April of this year. (Read that report in Spanish here: Plan_expansion_generacion.)

According to the IMN, changes in precipitation patterns are caused by the El Niño weather phenomenon and affect most of the country. Currently the South Pacific is the only region with normal rainfall levels for the season, the agency said.

In the North Pacific, the rainfall deficit this month is 60 percent. That percentage is expected to decrease slightly in August to 50 percent and in September to 40 percent, the IMN said.

In the Central Valley, the rainfall deficit this month reached 30 percent and is expected to increase to 50 percent in September. The Central Pacific will see the lowest deficit, currently at 20 percent. IMN forecasts note it will drop to 15 percent in August and 5 percent in September.

In contrast, El Niño is causing an unusual increase in precipitation in the Northern and Caribbean regions, where IMN recorded a rainfall increase of 20 percent. That’s likely to reach 30 percent in August.

Heavy rains caused flooding in various cantons of the province of Limón last week, where 30 people were evacuated and several homes were affected. El Niño is expected to continue through April 2015, the IMN said.

However, a recent increase in rainfall has allowed the Public Services Regulatory Agency on Wednesday to approve a 9 percent decrease in electricity rates for residents of the Northern Zone. Lower rates will take effect after they are published in the official newspaper La Gaceta.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Begins New Era as Laura Fernández Takes Office

Laura Fernández will be sworn in today as our new president, opening a four-year term shaped by promises of tougher security policies, closer alignment...

Israeli President to Attend Costa Rica Inauguration

Israeli President Isaac Herzog will travel this week to Panama and Costa Rica in a four-day official visit that includes a historic first stop...

Salvadoran Newspaper Says Bukele Froze Partners’ Assets After Documentary

The influential digital newspaper El Faro denounced on Thursday that the government of Nayib Bukele froze assets belonging to its partners in retaliation for...

Global Leaders Arrive in Costa Rica for Presidential Transition

Costa Rica will host delegations from around the world Friday as Laura Fernández is sworn in as the country’s next president, turning the May...

Hondurasgate: Audios Reveal Alleged U.S. Plot Against the Left in Latin America

Leaked audio recordings published by a digital outlet reveal an alleged plot involving the United States, Israel, Honduras and Argentina to destabilize leftist governments...

Costa Rica Loses 56,000 Jobs as Workforce Participation Hits Multi-Year Low

Costa Rica shed more than 56,000 jobs in the first quarter of 2026 compared with the same period last year, while an additional 118,000...
L. Arias
L. Arias
Reporter | The Tico Times |
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel