No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveIn Nicaragua, former Contra leader warns of armed resistance

In Nicaragua, former Contra leader warns of armed resistance

MANAGUA, Nicaragua – As bouts of political violence erupted again yesterday during protests to mark the first anniversary of the allegedly fraudulent Nov. 9, 2008 municipal elections, former Contra commander Germán Zeledón is warning that a rebirth of the armed resistance movement to the increasingly repressive government of President Daniel Ortega might not be too far off.

Zeledón, who claims he was robbed of victory in last year´s mayoral contest in the northern department of Jinotega, said former Contra soldiers from the 1980s and a new generation of anti-Sandinistas are already organizing behind closed doors.

“Jinotega was a theater of war, so Jinotega is a little bit more violent than other parts of the country,” Zeledón told The Nica Times yesterday in an exclusive interview in Managua. “There are lots of people who won´t stand for one more rock thrown at them.”

He added, “There is a group that is organizing in Jinotega called the FDN (Nicaraguan Democratic Force), which was the original part of the Contra. The FDN are the true Contras…. This is evolving as the government puts more pressure on the people. The first goal is to protect ourselves physically, because they are attacking us and there is no longer any rule of law here.”

In Managua, Sandinista mobs again attacked civil protests by youths demonstrating against last year´s elections and last month´s contentious move by Sandinista magistrates to lift a ban on consecutive presidential re-election, clearing the way for Ortega to run again in 2011 (NT link).

Monday morning, a mob of masked Sandinista Youth attacked a civil society group waving Nicaraguan flags outside the Plaza del Sol police station in downtown Managua.

After the Sandinistas pelted the group with rocks and eggs and chased them off with homemade mortars, the mob turned its fury on the police station itself, breaking windows and firing mortars at the police headquarters.

On Sunday, five police officers were injured in Nagorte, León, when a similarly unruly Sandinista mob attacked a police line that was protecting a separate civil society protest against last year´s alleged electoral fraud.

To date, the National Police have yet to make any arrests during more than a year of partisan street violence, not even when their own agents or headquarters have been attacked.

“Politics has failed,” said former Contra leader Zeledón. “If there is no rule of law, there comes a time where the only way to express yourself is through other forms.”

Zeledón insists he´s not personally involved in the Contra regrouping, but says he has firsthand knowledge that it´s happening.

“They came looking for me but I told them to calm down,” he said. “But there will come a moment when they won´t remain calm any longer.”

Read this Friday´s print edition of The Nica Times for more on this story.

Trending Now

How to watch Serena and Venus Williams play doubles in Costa Rica today

Serena and Venus Williams play doubles at the Cincinnati Open tonight at 5 p.m. Costa Rica time. Here is where to watch it and what to avoid.

Search Intensifies for Missing Hiker in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

Rescue teams continued searching today for a 58-year-old man who has been missing for several days inside Chirripó National Park, one of Costa Rica’s...

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

Mother’s Day Is a Full National Holiday in Costa Rica

Today is Día de la Madre, and it is a full national holiday in Costa Rica, not just a greeting-card occasion. Public offices are...

Nurses Strike at Hospital México After Staffing Talks Collapse

More than 180 nurses walked out at one of Costa Rica's three national referral hospitals after talks with the CCSS ended without agreement.
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel