Calderón Guardia Strike Ends After Court Suspends Firings
After a brief strike action this week, health care worker unions prepared to tell hospital employees to go back to work after the Supreme Court’s constitutional branch decided Thursday to provisionally allow the director and two top administrators of San José’s Calderón Guardia Hospital to resume their posts.
Last week, the Social Security System sacked hospital director, Luis Paulino Hernández, administration chief Carlos Vílchez and maintenance chief Fernando Roldán after an investigation found they neglected internal control regulations during a July 2005 fire that raged through the hospital’s fourth and fifth floors, killing 19 people (TT, July 15, 2005).
The health unions said the suspensions broke due process and labor laws, and called an “indefinite strike.”
You may be interested
Costa Rica immigration offices to remain closed until OctoberAlejandro Zúñiga - September 19, 2020
The Immigration Administration on Friday said its main and regional offices will remain closed until October due to the coronavirus…
Pic of the Day: Hopping into the weekendAlejandro Zúñiga - September 19, 2020
Happy weekend from all of us at The Tico Times! [caption id="attachment_62085" align="aligncenter" width="740"] (Courtesy of Brian Kubicki)[/caption] [caption id="attachment_111342"…
Top dental clinics in Costa Rica meet patient needs in the age of COVIDVayolla Quiros / Goodness Dental - September 18, 2020
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released its guidelines for dental settings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.…