No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveGuanacaste Forest Fire Burns Thousands of Acres of Parkland

Guanacaste Forest Fire Burns Thousands of Acres of Parkland

Thousands of acres of prized dry tropical forest in the northwestern province of Guanacaste – declared a world heritage site by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) – burned in a massive forest fire last week.

According to Luis Diego Román, coordinator of the National Fire Management Program, the inferno affected 1,800 hectares inside the GuanacasteNational Park and as

the largest of the year thus far.

Though the exact cause is still unknown, officials believe a group of hunters in the region accidentally started the fire. According to a statement released by the Fire Management Program, suspects have been identified and are currently being investigated by the Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ).

More than 200 firefighters were dispatched to the site, but strong winds, extremely dry weather and temperatures cresting 100 degrees Fahrenheit, typical of this time of year in Guanacaste, made it difficult for fighters to make headway, Román said.

The resulting massive plumes of smoke and flames, which covered the area for more than three days, delayed traffic during the busy Semana Santa Easter vacation week along the adjacent

Inter-American Highway

, and many smaller byways were closed for the duration.

The region hadn’t seen a fire of this magnitude for 15 years, according to Román, and the forest had just reached the point of regeneration. Animals such as white-tailed deer, snakes, rabbits and various species of birds, which depend on the unique dry forest habitat of the zone, were displaced, Roman said.

The fire may also affect local water supplies. With its heavy forest cover and shade, the park served as an important regeneration area for the aquifer that provides water to the growing nearby coastal communities of La Cruz, Colonia Bolaños and Cuajiniquil.

 

Trending Now

Trump Announces Pardon for Convicted Former Honduran President Hernández

President Donald Trump declared on Friday that he plans to grant a full pardon to Juan Orlando Hernández, the former president of Honduras serving...

Update: Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens – Again!

The Ministry of Public Works and Transportation (MOPT) reported that Route 32 in Zurquí has reopened. This vital road, the main connection between the...

Australian Open Latin American Legacy Resonates in Costa Rica

Melbourne's hard courts come alive each January with the Australian Open, the year's opening Grand Slam. This two-week event draws the world's top tennis...

Nighttime Closures Set for Costa Rica Highway This Weekend Amid Overpass Work

Drivers on Costa Rica's busy General Cañas Highway face temporary full closures over three nights starting this Friday as crews install beams for a...

Kyrgios Eyes Australian Open Return with Kooyong Classic Entry

Nick Kyrgios has given his strongest hint yet of a full-scale return to competitive tennis by entering the Kooyong Classic, a key warm-up ahead...

Costa Rica and El Salvador Issue First Digital Yellow Fever Certificates

Costa Rica and El Salvador have taken a key step in modernizing public health by issuing the first digital yellow fever vaccination certificates in...
Avatar
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica