Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Fifty Companies Export 60% of Country’s Total

October 21, 2005

FIFTY companies account for 60% of the country’s export total, while the remaining 40% is in the hands of 1,728 businesses, according to the weekly El Financiero.The 50 companies exported almost $3 billion during the first eight months of 2005, while their total sales amounted to more than $4 billion, El Financiero reported. Intel Components Costa Rica, the national representative of the worldwide Intel high-tech corporation, heads the list of the country’s leading exporters, followed by Abbott Hospitals of Costa Rica, dedicated to assembling hospital equipment.The third company is Baxter, which also produces medical equipment, followed by pineapple exporter Del Monte Agricultural Development Corporation. Although the export sector is the most dynamic in Costa Rica’s economy, it remains a target of criticism for those who consider that its contribution to the country’s development is insufficient, El Financiero reported.The Foreign Trade Ministry (COMEX) has projected exports of $7 billion this year.

You may be interested

CNE issues Orange and Yellow Alerts due to heavy rainfall
Costa Rica
2152 views
Costa Rica
2152 views

CNE issues Orange and Yellow Alerts due to heavy rainfall

Alejandro Zúñiga - October 21, 2020

The National Emergency Commission (CNE) on Wednesday established or extended Yellow and Orange Alerts due to weather that is impacting…

Misinformation threatens response to Covid-19 in the Americas, PAHO alerts
Latin America
1432 views
Latin America
1432 views

Misinformation threatens response to Covid-19 in the Americas, PAHO alerts

AFP - October 21, 2020

The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) warned Wednesday that misinformation threatens the response to Covid-19 in the American continent, in…

Domestic airlines resume intra-Costa Rica flights
Travel & Tourism
4863 views
Travel & Tourism
4863 views

Domestic airlines resume intra-Costa Rica flights

Alejandro Zúñiga - October 21, 2020

Costa Rican airline SANSA has resumed domestic commercial service, the carrier announced. “We are excited to fly again with pride…