No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveCE Gives Prepaid Phones a Test Run

CE Gives Prepaid Phones a Test Run

The Costa Rican Electricity Institute has launched a pilot plan for the long-awaited prepaid mobile phone program that it said will ultimately be extended to non-residents.

The plan is a first step forward from the current monthly-contract-only billing system, which is restricted to card-carrying legal residents, long a hurdle for temporary visitors.

ICE started the plan last week, selecting and notifying some 5,000 mobile users for a first phase, which is planned to lead into a full-fledged service in March or April, said Adolfo Arias, ICE’s services director.

The Public Services Regulatory Authority has agreed on a cost for three prepaid cards: ¢2,500 (about $4.55), ¢5,000 ($9.09) and ¢10,000 ($18.18).

The pilot plan is set to run until January, when ICE will activate a second phase, offering prepaid service to 30,000 people including non-resident visitors, Arias said.

“Phase 3 will be for all customers that want the service, for which we will have a new prepaid platform for up to 2 million accounts and it is expected that this will be in March or April of 2009, and it will no longer be a pilot plan but an official commercial launch,” Arias wrote.

–Alex Leff

 

Trending Now

Ring of Fire Earthquakes Put Costa Rica’s Seismic Risk in Focus

A series of powerful earthquakes around the Pacific Ring of Fire has renewed attention on Costa Rica’s seismic risk and the tectonic forces constantly moving beneath.

Cincinnati Open 2026 Sets All-North American Semifinal

An American man is guaranteed a place in the Cincinnati Open final after Frances Tiafoe and Brandon Nakashima won their quarterfinal matches on Friday....

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Costa Rica Raises Bus Fares Between San José and Nicaragua Border

Taking the bus from San José to the Nicaraguan border became more expensive today.The fare from San José to Peñas Blancas increased from ₡5,820...

Costa Rica Lawmakers Challenge Sweeping State-Secrecy Order

Opposition lawmakers asked Costa Rica’s Constitutional Chamber today to immediately suspend a decree that places broad categories of government security information, including budgets and...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

Costa Rica Asked to Explain Fishing Boats Seen in Puntarenas Estuary

The appearance of two fishing boats in the Puntarenas estuary has led a Costa Rican ocean conservation advocate to ask authorities for more information...
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel