No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCentral AmericaGuatemalaIn Guatemala, Mayan Zone Attack Leaves 4 Soldiers Wounded

In Guatemala, Mayan Zone Attack Leaves 4 Soldiers Wounded

At least four soldiers were wounded Sunday when a military vehicle was shot at in an indigenous area mired in a long-standing border conflict between two villages that left 13 dead in December, the army said.

Unknown persons, with “high caliber weapons”, attacked the vehicle where a military chief of the region and seven other soldiers were being transported in an area close to the urban area of the municipality of Santa Catarina Ixtahuacán, said to journalists Colonel Rubén Tellez, spokesman of the Armed Forces. 

The unit was supervising military bases deployed in the area that maintain security patrols in Santa Catarina Ixtahuacán and the neighboring municipality of Nahualá, following the massacre that occurred at the end of last year.

Tellez explained that the four wounded soldiers are “stable” and were transferred to the army hospital in the capital. 

He added that the attack “puts at risk the security and governability” of the area, where the Guatemalan president, Alejandro Giammattei, established in January the beginning of negotiations with the two mayors and community leaders to resolve the conflict, mainly in the definition of the municipal boundaries.   

Santa Catarina Ixtahuacán and Nahualá are engaged in a dispute of more than 100 years over the limits between both towns of the same Mayan ethnic group, a dispute that has generated several episodes of violence. 

Last December 17, the conflict intensified with the massacre of 13 people, among them three children and a policeman. The victims, from a village of Santa Catarina Ixtahuacán, were ambushed in a village of Nahualá when they were on their way to collect corn.

Relatives of the victims and other villagers blamed Nahualá neighbors for the massacre which led the government to decree a state of siege for two months. 

On January 7, a contingent of more than 6,500 police, soldiers and prosecutors who were preparing to carry out raids and arrests as part of the investigation into the massacre were shot at in a community of Nahualá, resulting in the death of one policeman and the wounding of some 20 others. 

Trending Now

Nicaragua reinstates travel visa for Cubans, official says

Nicaragua has reinstated the visa requirement for Cuban citizens, one of its few allies in Latin America, the Nicaraguan government co-led by spouses Daniel...

Costa Rica Captures Alleged Shooter in Nicaraguan Exile’s Murder

Police in Costa Rica arrested a 21-year-old man suspected of pulling the trigger in the June 2025 killing of Roberto Samcam, a retired Nicaraguan...

Venezuelan Opposition Leader Freed After Months in Detention

Venezuelan opposition politician Juan Pablo Guanipa walked free from a Caracas prison on Sunday, marking a key moment in the ongoing release of political...

Costa Rica’s Key Highway to Caribbean Remains Blocked by Slides

Authorities report that Route 32 stays shut down in the Zurquí sector as crews battle ongoing landslides triggered by heavy rains from cold front...

Harvard’s Robert Waldinger Brings the World’s Longest Happiness Study to Costa Rica

One of the world’s leading experts on happiness and wellbeing is coming to Costa Rica, and time is running out to be part of...

International Spotlight on Costa Rica’s Barrenador Investigation

Former president of the Costa Rican Social Security Fund (CCSS) and newly elected deputy Marta Esquivel has pushed her defense in the Barrenador case...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica