Costa Rica registers fourth death due to coronavirus
An 84-year-old man became the fourth person with COVID-19 to die in Costa Rica, the Health Ministry said Wednesday morning.
The man had been at Hospital San Juan de Dios in San José and in intensive care. In addition to his age, the patient had hypertension, according to the Health Ministry.
The 84-year-old, a resident of San José, tested positive for the coronavirus on April 1. He was admitted into intensive care on April 5 and remained there until his death.
He becomes Costa Rica’s fourth known death due to COVID-19. Two elderly men, both 87-year-old Ticos, died in mid-March. A 45-year-old man with no known risk factors died last week after a 10-day stay in intensive care.
Costa Rica has confirmed 626 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Wednesday.
Sixteen people are currently hospitalized, with 11 in intensive care. Sixty-seven people have recovered after testing positive for the coronavirus.
If you believe you may have contracted COVID-19 or have questions regarding the coronavirus, contact Costa Rican health authorities by dialing 1322.
Timeline of COVID-19 in Costa Rica
- March 6: Costa Rica confirms first COVID-19 case.
- March 9: Costa Rica suspends mass gatherings, tells employees to work from home.
- March 16: Costa Rica declares State of Emergency, restricts entry to non-citizens
- and non-residents. In-person teaching suspended.
- March 18: Costa Rica reports first COVID-19-related death.
- March 20: Costa Rica reports second COVID-19-related death. All national parks close.
- March 23: Beaches and religious centers ordered to close. Nighttime driving ban announced.
- March 31: Costa Rica inaugurates coronavirus-specific hospital at CENARE.
- April 4-12: Costa Rica imposes significant travel restrictions during Semana Santa.
- April 15: Costa Rica reports fourth COVID-19-related death.
This story was updated with Wednesday’s data.
You may be interested
Costa Rica celebrates Guanacaste Day (Annexation of Nicoya)Zach Dyer and Roy Arguedas - July 25, 2021
This story was first published in 2013. Costa Rica this year has moved the day off for Guanacaste Day to…
Slothy Sunday: Sloths and selfiesJillian Vander Vinne / Toucan Rescue Ranch - July 25, 2021
From a very young age, I loved animals, a fascination to an almost obsessive degree. I grew up surrounded by…
Another presidential hopeful arrested in NicaraguaAFP - July 25, 2021
Another presidential candidate was arrested in Nicaragua on Saturday, police said -- the seventh detained by Daniel Ortega's government in…