• Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Tico Travel Surfing
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

Real Madrid thrown out of Spanish Cup over ineligible player, federation confirms

December 4, 2015

MADRID – Real Madrid have been thrown out of the Spanish Cup after fielding an ineligible player in their tie against third-tier Cadiz on Wednesday, the Spanish Football Federation confirmed on Friday.

Madrid began the game with Denis Cheryshev, who scored the opening goal in the 3-1 win, in their starting line-up even though the Russian should have been suspended after he received three yellow cards in the competition for Villarreal last season.

Though star Costa Rican goalkeeper Keylor Navas did not play in the match Wednesday, he was expected to help lead “Los Blancos” through later rounds of the tournament against more challenging competition.

The federation’s competition committee judge ruled that the player was “ineligible, … so the match is resolved in favor of Cadiz.”

He also slapped Real Madrid with a fine of €6,001 ($6,520).

Real Madrid President Florentino Pérez said Thursday that the club “is not at fault” and would not be disqualified from the competition because Cheryshev had “not been personally notified” that he was suspended.

Pérez also argued that according to the club’s interpretation of the competition’s by-laws, previous bookings are voided at the start of the round of 32.

The head of the Spanish league, Javier Tebas, earlier on Friday said he felt the possible disqualification of Real Madrid over the affair “seemed a bit disproportionate.”

Last season Spanish football saw second division Osasuna booted out of the cup in an almost identical case. And in 2001, current Real Madrid coach Rafael Benítez was in charge of Valencia when that team was thrown out of the same competition for fielding four non-EU players when only three were permitted.

 

You may be interested

Costa Rica surpasses 300 known cases of coronavirus
Costa Rica
5995 views
Costa Rica
5995 views

Costa Rica surpasses 300 known cases of coronavirus

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 29, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 314 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Sunday afternoon. The figure marks a…

Slothy Sunday: Solitary lives
Sloth Sundays
577 views
Sloth Sundays
577 views

Slothy Sunday: Solitary lives

Denise Gillen / Toucan Rescue Ranch - March 29, 2020

With all of the craziness that's been happening recently, we're all adjusting to a whole new lifestyle: practicing social distancing.…

Costa Rica announces new health measures as coronavirus tally reaches 295
Costa Rica
5787 views
Costa Rica
5787 views

Costa Rica announces new health measures as coronavirus tally reaches 295

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 28, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 295 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Saturday afternoon. The figure marks a…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!