• Tico Travel Surfing
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

Guantanamo should be shut before Obama leaves, says Pentagon chief

August 20, 2015

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay should be shut down before President Barack Obama leaves office, Pentagon chief Ashton Carter said Thursday, saying the facility is a “rallying cry for jihadi propaganda.”

He said the Department of Defense was actively searching for an alternative detention facility.

“This is not something, in my judgment, that we should leave to the next president,” Carter told reporters at the Pentagon.

He said he and the White House were on the same page when it comes to closing the prison, as Obama promised to do before being elected and which he is now making a final push to accomplish.

“As long as this detention facility remains open, it will remain a rallying cry for jihadi propaganda,” Carter said. “It’s expensive and not something the president wants to leave to his successor.”

He said defense officials had been assessing Fort Leavenworth, in Kansas, and the Navy Brig in Charleston, South Carolina as possible destinations for prisoners.

“We will also be assessing other sites in the coming weeks,” he added.

Any transfers of the prisoners to sites within the continental United States are likely to be highly controversial in Congress, but Carter said his department is working on putting together a concrete plan for lawmakers to consider.

“Our responsibility is to provide [Congress] with a plan that they can consider that is a responsible one so that people … can make up their minds,” he said.

You may be interested

News briefs (or no briefs): The latest news from Costa Rica
Costa Rica
922 views
Costa Rica
922 views

News briefs (or no briefs): The latest news from Costa Rica

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 31, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic has impacted daily life in Costa Rica, which has declared a State of Emergency and enacted sweeping…

Costa Rica up to 330 coronavirus cases, fourth person recovered
Costa Rica
6270 views
Costa Rica
6270 views

Costa Rica up to 330 coronavirus cases, fourth person recovered

Alejandro Zúñiga - March 30, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 330 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Monday afternoon. The figure marks a…

More than 100,000 layoffs as 40% of Costa Rica’s restaurants close
Costa Rica
209 views
Costa Rica
209 views

More than 100,000 layoffs as 40% of Costa Rica’s restaurants close

AFP and The Tico Times - March 30, 2020

Some 100,000 restaurant workers in Costa Rica have lost their jobs after the closure of more than 40% of the…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!