No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeFollowing recent crime wave, Solís announces new investment in San Carlos police...

Following recent crime wave, Solís announces new investment in San Carlos police force

President Luis Guillermo Solís and Public Security Minister Celso Gamboa traveled to San Carlos, Alajuela, on Monday, to announce an investment of more than ₡205 million ($383,000) in the canton’s National Police force following a rash of robberies and attacks in the area, a popular tourist destination.

“An immediate response to an immediate problem,” Gamboa said about the government’s actions, which include coverage of Arenal Volcano, Lake Arenal and La Fortuna. San Carlos police received four new Toyota Land Cruisers and two four-door pickup trucks. The vehicles were purchased with funds from the National Emergency Commission’s budget.

Authorities have been scrambling to respond to a recent string of robberies in the Northern Zone, including in the community of Nuevo Arenal, where on Aug. 23, 10 armed suspects in several vehicles robbed a gas station and an appliance store. Earlier that month, a suspect robbed a local hotel employee at gunpoint and made off with ₡5 million ($9,300) in money for staff salaries.

Although technically located in the Tilarán Canton of Guanacaste Province, Nuevo Arenal sits on the northern edge of Lake Arenal. Last week, Public Security Ministry spokesman Carlos Hidalgo told The Tico Times the stepped-up police presence in San Carlos would include patrols of Nuevo Arenal, which currently has no police station. 

Then, on Aug. 28, a gang of 10 masked men robbed three businesses in the Plaza San Carlos, in the center of Ciudad Quesada, the daily La Nación reported.

According to La Nación, robberies in San Carlos are up by 20 percent so far this year over the same period in 2013. Citing figures from the Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ), the daily said victims in 2014 filed 409 robbery complaints in San Carlos from Jan. 1 to July 31. That number was 336 during the same period last year.

“I’m afraid to be in my business. I’m anxious, I feel unsafe and I have no peace,” San Carlos business owner José Manuel Riggioni told La Nación.

Solís emphasized the need to act quickly, noting that robberies and assaults could eventually provide fertile ground for organized crime to enter the area.

“Unfortunately, as we know, crime extends its reach and digs in its roots across an area when it finds the right conditions. I’m thinking not only of everyday crime, but organized crime, too,” the president said.

But as La Nación noted, citing OIJ Assistant Director Gerald Campos, at least three organized criminal groups already operate in the San Carlos area.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

Five Costa Rican Surfers Advance at Playa Hermosa WSL Event

Five Costa Rican surfers remain in contention at the Garabito Surf City Pro after advancing to the round of 32 at the World Surf...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel